my ignition just spins and spins

Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 67 270

my ignition just spins and spins

Unread post by ryemadd » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:35 pm

my ignition is wanky. it doesnt feel as if the key that at one time turned the engine over for me fits and it doesnt turn but a quarter turn.....how far should it turn should my dc lights be on from the engine battery and would the key if properly funstional turn those off and on and my instrument cluster doewsnt do anythuing jhelp please

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: dodge mahal,1970

Re: my ignition just spins and spins

Unread post by raysimmons » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:51 am

if it's a '67 I would think the key should turn bout half way then back I/4 after it starts. should be easy to replace the ignition switch if need be. not sure how it could "spin and spin" unless it's the starting spinning and not engaging.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by ryemadd » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:08 pm

it doesnt spin n spin i was just expressing my fustration i guess....but it only turns less than a quarter turn... and nothing in the cluster comes on but my dc lights thru the coach....and the heater fan. cant i just hot wire it to get it to turn over im trying to get this beast started aftr it has set for 6 years.....any help will be extremely.........helpful...and apprecioated

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by raysimmons » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:21 pm

should be simple to hot wire but if your not sure what you are doing you might cause some wiring damage. spray some wd 40 into the key hole and work the key back and forth. A new ignition should be fairly cheap if you need it. last dodge one I bought an napa was under $30. dodge used pretty much the same one for many applications. are you sure the battery is good ? turn the key till you get the dc lights to come on then get underneath and jump out the starter. even w/o the key in the on position the starter should turn over as long as the battery is good

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by ryemadd » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:52 pm

the dc lights styay on......whats that mean...my ignition is junked???? do u happen to have the part number for the ignition....and any other tips in starting a travco thats been siting for 6 plus years. the license plate says 09......im goin to hook up a gas can instead of tryin that old gass. thanks so much bro

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by ryemadd » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:56 pm

so i got her cranked over she even shot a big fire ball out the carb and stuttered and popped and thern died. so im going to play with my timing...my switch is toast by the way. im usingh a starter triggerr a jumper box and a wire...anyweays can anyone point me in the direction of how to open these points up....never done it before on anything and whats the best position for dist. or where would you start...and any other pointers thanks rye

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by raysimmons » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:16 am

if no one has touched it there is not much reason for it to be out of time. open the distributer cap and see what it looks like inside. cap might be cracked, rotor might be broke etc. if you can turn it over (engine) while looking down into the distributor w/o the rotor you should see the points opening and closing and the spark jumping the gap in the points. the darker it is the easier to see the spark. was this rig running when parked ? might have just been flooded as the reason for the pop. the carb is more likely to screw up from setting than the distributer and it's components. I would get that ignition swapped out first as that would cause it to pop and die also.

Return to “Travco 270”