Painting Exterior

Author
Travco Model: 1973 dodge 270

Painting Exterior

Unread post by lilivy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:19 am

Does anyone know the best way to paint the exterior? Does the original paint have to be removed before the new paint? If so, what is the best way to remove the original old paint? Any ideas or suggestions would be good thank you!

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 76 270 2+2 & 76 270

Re: Painting Exterior

Unread post by ontheroad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:31 pm

Can you give more information? How do you plan to paint it? Roller? Brush? Spray gun? HVLP spray gun? They will all require a different answer. As for paint removal. If there is nothing wrong with the adhesion of the existing paint, it is better to leave it on. As long as you prep and clean the surface it will adhere.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1972 travco

Unread post by dirtydeno » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:33 am

Ive been looking at how to paint my 270. Im going to use rustoleum Topside Paint with a roller. Its a boat paint for fiberglass. I used it on a different project and it worked really well. They also have a primer that will fill in cracks. Im going to sand it all down with a DA, clean it and paint it. It wont look like a 20k dollar paint job but it will look good from 20 feet :D .

Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by pjsrodshop » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:17 pm

lilivy wrote:Does anyone know the best way to paint the exterior? Does the original paint have to be removed before the new paint? If so, what is the best way to remove the original old paint? Any ideas or suggestions would be good thank you!
\n\nI painted mine a couple years ago with Ace Hardwares Rust Stop paint. same as rustoleum but Ace can tint it whatever color you want. I used a DA to rough up the original gel coat and then put on several coats with a 6" foam roller. laid on nice and level. has held up very nice and I get tons of compliments
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by ontheroad » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Valspar has an enamel hardener that works in that Rust Stop. Makes it even better. Better gloss and holds up better. Our Ace Hardware stocks it.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 220

Unread post by Woodsman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:34 am

ontheroad wrote:Valspar has an enamel hardener that works in that Rust Stop. Makes it even better. Better gloss and holds up better. Our Ace Hardware stocks it.
\n\nDid you sand off the gelcoat or paint over it? Primer?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by ontheroad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:10 am

Woodsman wrote:\n\nDid you sand off the gelcoat or paint over it? Primer?
\n\nI think you meant to ask "pjsrodshop" if he primed his. I haven't painted the outside of mine yet... But I wouldn't remove the gel coat if there wasn't anything wrong with it. And I would prime it, probably with an epoxy based primer. HTH.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Woodsman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:03 am

ontheroad wrote:
Woodsman wrote:\n\nDid you sand off the gelcoat or paint over it? Primer?
\n\nI think you meant to ask "pjsrodshop" if he primed his. I haven't painted the outside of mine yet... But I wouldn't remove the gel coat if there wasn't anything wrong with it. And I would prime it, probably with an epoxy based primer. HTH.
\n\nYep, wrong click.\n\nGelcoat has a lot of spider webs I'll have to router and fill.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by ontheroad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Woodsman wrote:\n\nYep, wrong click.\n\nGelcoat has a lot of spider webs I'll have to router and fill.
\n\n\nI have the same problem, more so on the back around the tail lights. That is what I plan on doing. Router the crack and fill it with 3M 08115 panel bond adhesive. Thats the best way I have found so far to fix them.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Woodsman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:58 am

ontheroad wrote:[quote="Woodsman]\nI have the same problem, more so on the back around the tail lights. That is what I plan on doing. Router the crack and fill it with 3M 08115 panel bond adhesive. Thats the best way I have found so far to fix them.
[/quote]\n\nI was going to use gelcoat but the panel bond looks much easier to handle and apply. Good tip, thanks.

Return to “Travco 270”