Newbie with questions

Author
Travco Model:

Newbie with questions

Unread post by don68 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:54 am

I am going to look at a 1975 Travco. It is a two + two which I am lead to believe is a 24 FT. model. This unit runs and is being used. Is their anything specific I should look at that would be cause for concern. Hard, expensive to repair? Need to drive it a little over 1000 miles to get it home.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Newbie with questions

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:19 am

IIRC the 2+2 Mahals are all 27'

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Welcome :mrgreen: \nThe real question is how are you as a mechanic ?\nIt's a 40 yr old rig that parts are scarce for so if you break down, a trip to Advance isn't gonna cut it. \nThe main area of concern right away would be the brakes and tire condition. If it has tubeless 19.5s your in good shape. If it has the old split rim 17's, you could be in for a heap of trouble. They are near impossible to find and then you have to find someone willing to change them.\nNot trying to scare you off at all but The farthest I take mine is 200 miles because that's what Triple A covers me for... :lol: \nI'm a heavy truck mechanic , I can fix it if it breaks down but alot of time it comes down to parts. That was one of the main reason I started this forum to get an updated list of common parts and where to get them.\nOnce you get past that U joints, transmission, engine health all need to be assessed. These units are pretty simple and no real known issues except the brakes can be a PIA,especially if it has sat for awhile.\nIf you feel you are a decent mechanic I'd say maybe if the rig looks in good shape. If you are not a decent wrench, this could get real expensive, real fast.\nI hope that helps.\nAfter that make sure it has good windshields or atleast the price reflective if they are broken because they are about 1200$ each installed.\nThese are very very well built units and worth the time and effort IMHO . They are built better than even 200k units of today(although maybe not as nice inside).
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Welcome!\nBrakes, tires, cooling system, hoses and belts all need to be up to snuff to make a trouble free trip home. I would carry spare cap, rotor, ignition module and resistor ballast. \nDid i mention brakes?

Travco Model:

Unread post by don68 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. It is great to have a forum to gather information on these vehicles. On the mechanic side of it I should be able to fix about anything. I know nothing about the workings of a motor home and the internal systems (stove, fridge, shower and toilet systems and tanks). \n\nWhat vehicle should I tell them to look under for and ignition module. \n\nIs there something special to look for in the windshields other than for breakage? Like if they are installed properly.\n\nI live in southwestern Ohio and my daughter lives in California. Am I being way to optimistic thinking I can drive this vehicle there and back a couple of times a year pulling a small 6X12 single axle trailer? \n\nThinking a Pertronix dist, after market fuel injection system. Depending on the size of exhaust a bigger free flow system. Hoping to improve reliability and maybe inprove fuel mileage slightly.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:49 pm

As the later generation of parts store employees cannot do "older" researches, it pays to have the numbers...\nHere are a few for starters...HTH\nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:13 pm

The inner workings of the coach for the most part are not much different than working on your house except for the 12 volt stuff. Look for dry rot in the floors(soft spots). Look at the steel floors in the cockpit both drivers and passenger side from the wheel wells. Does it have a generator ?\nAs far as the trip from Ohio to Cali I'd say unless you are buying something pretty new and expensive, It's a crap shoot no matter what you buy.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:44 pm

Once I get my new tires put on... I wouldn't hesitate to drive my Travco anywhere. But I have been through just about every mechanical aspect of it and I am very familiar with my coach. I also carry lots of spare parts.\nA word of advice... don't plan on being in hurry in an old Travco. These things were built without overdrives back when the speed limits were lower... 60 mph seems to be the sweet spot for mine.

Travco Model:

Unread post by don68 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:24 am

Thanks for all of the great replies. Hoping if I decide to purchase one that I can make it reliable. I have had a few Mopars with the 440 engine. Drove them hard, raced a couple of them, never had an real issues. I understand that moving the mass of a Travco is a strain. What I am having trouble understanding is the unreliability. I do believe in carrying spare parts.\nAlso is there any tricks to make the brake system bullet proof?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:00 pm

"Bullet-proof ? "...no such thing in my book on a Travco......Hydo-vacs are one sorry "a%#@*" cheap brake system... a massive use of (the dodge chasis) that did not denote one getting a quality system... these are 7 (seven) ton behemoths with marginal or sub-standard brakes even though approved somewhere and sometime ago by the DOT that allowed dodge/chrysler to sell these chasis to Travco and to other rv manufactures..,..IMHO\nBTW, I am on my 5th Travco and all of them had brake issues...\nI am still in a brake scene with what is to be my last Travco......and Winnebago has been no help...\nBe glad to delete/retract this trashing if one can show me where i am wrong...\nThe loadflite trans is extremely good as is the motor...\nBBB

Return to “Travco 270”