Travco 270 stuck at 24/7 Travel Store

Author
Travco Model: 1974 270

Travco 270 stuck at 24/7 Travel Store

Unread post by eescabar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:04 pm

Hello all I will happily introduce myself and my new to me 74 Travco 270, but for now I need a little help to get back on the road. A good friend of mine and I went pick up the Travco in the Denver area and are on our way back to East TN. All was going well except the occasional stall and idle. Well my silly self accidentally grounded out the power and killed the engine. \n\nCurrently the ignition will not kick the starter on. We can bridge the terminals on the starter and get it to turn the engine over. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I think that there must be a blown fuse, but the coach has patch work wiring and the ignition/accessory fuse is empty. I am attempting to locate the "new" fuse location. Any help would be great!\n\nthanks, \n\neescabar

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: None - Dodge chassis info

Re: Stuck at 24/7 Travel Store

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Many times a RV mfg built this years rig (e.g 72) on last years chassis (e.g 71)\n\nIf you have a 72 Chassis, then you most likely blew the 14 gauge fusible link at the starter solenoid on the frame rail. It feeds the Ammeter gauge (also has a shunt resistor inside) which feeds the ignition switch.\n\nIf you have a 71 chassis, then you may have blown the shunt resistor in the ammeter (known Dodge weak spot). 71 chassis did not have the fusible link (a very good and inexpensive thing to add)

Unread post by eescabar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:29 pm

Dave78Chieftain wrote:Many times a RV mfg built this years rig (e.g 72) on last years chassis (e.g 71)\n\nIf you have a 72 Chassis, then you most likely blew the 14 gauge fusible link at the starter solenoid on the frame rail. It feeds the Ammeter gauge (also has a shunt resistor inside) which feeds the ignition switch.\n\nIf you have a 71 chassis, then you may have blown the shunt resistor in the ammeter (known Dodge weak spot). 71 chassis did not have the fusible link (a very good and inexpensive thing to add)
\n\nI am pretty sure its the 72 chassis. Currently we do not have dash lights or any funtion accesories. However I was fiddling around with the mess of a fuse panel up front and we were brefily (3 time) able to use the key to turn the motor over. We then lost power again.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:59 pm

go to the nearest auto parts you can find even if it's walmart and get a 12v test light.\nDoes your travco have a Perko battery switch or a switch in the middle of the dash to turn the batteries on ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Also check the plug coming off the steering column. That plug is known to burn up. It is your ignition circuit.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Ok the 74 could have the fuse box either under the dash by drivers left foot or inside the hood on the left side(drivers)\nBad pick of the plug. it's dark out and I took a blind shot. That plug is notorious for doing exactly what you describe if it intermittently came back to life. If it's burned just just the wire on each side of the plug(Red IIRC??) and connect it around the plug.\nDo any of the house lights work(lights on the ceiling in the coach)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:42 pm

eescabar wrote:
Dave78Chieftain wrote:Many times a RV mfg built this years rig (e.g 72) on last years chassis (e.g 71)\n\nIf you have a 72 Chassis, then you most likely blew the 14 gauge fusible link at the starter solenoid on the frame rail. It feeds the Ammeter gauge (also has a shunt resistor inside) which feeds the ignition switch.\n\nIf you have a 71 chassis, then you may have blown the shunt resistor in the ammeter (known Dodge weak spot). 71 chassis did not have the fusible link (a very good and inexpensive thing to add)
\n\nI am pretty sure its the 72 chassis. Currently we do not have dash lights or any function accessories. However I was fiddling around with the mess of a fuse panel up front and we were briefly (3 time) able to use the key to turn the motor over. We then lost power again.
\nThe fuses could be breaking contact due to corrosion also. Check each side with a test light.

Unread post by eescabar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:58 pm

Acesneights wrote:go to the nearest auto parts you can find even if it's walmart and get a 12v test light.\nDoes your travco have a Perko battery switch or a switch in the middle of the dash to turn the batteries on ?
\n\n\nHello, I have the floor switch in my rig. We have a multimeter with us as well as a wide assortment of tools. We are getting no power to the dash. What wires should we be concerned with as far as power to the dash, ignition, ect..?

Unread post by eescabar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:02 pm

Acesneights wrote:Ok the 74 could have the fuse box either under the dash by drivers left foot or inside the hood on the left side(drivers)\nBad pick of the plug. it's dark out and I took a blind shot. That plug is notorious for doing exactly what you describe if it intermittently came back to life. If it's burned just just the wire on each side of the plug(Red IIRC??) and connect it around the plug.\nDo any of the house lights work(lights on the ceiling in the coach)?
\n\nThank you for the photos! My fuse box is out front inside the hood. So i should just jump all the wires across the plug? What color wires should I be looking for exactly?

Unread post by eescabar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Acesneights wrote:
eescabar wrote:
\n\nI am pretty sure its the 72 chassis. Currently we do not have dash lights or any function accessories. However I was fiddling around with the mess of a fuse panel up front and we were briefly (3 time) able to use the key to turn the motor over. We then lost power again.
\nThe fuses could be breaking contact due to corrosion also. Check each side with a test light.
\n \nWe did do this step. Honestly the fuse box is such a mess it is hard to tell what is being used and what is old and unused.

Return to “Travco 270”