Cockpit Air Cond in 270's ?

Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Cockpit Air Cond in 270's ?

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:06 pm

My 1971 270 does not have cockpit/dash air conditioning, nor does it have the required compressor running from a belt on the accessory drive. Did any 270's have cockpit air conditioning?

Travco Model:

Re: Cockpit Air Cond in 270's ?

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Your talking about the dash air conditioning? I thought all Travco's came with factory dash air conditioning, I was unaware that dodge made these chassis otherwise.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:35 pm

My 76 had it sometime in the past. The compressor mount is still there as is the evaporator core and all the controls are still there but the rest was missing when I got it.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:13 am

I too have various air-conditioner pieces n parts left on my unit from previous owners who were clueless, destroying a factory air conditioning set up... As there are numerous pieces left in the unit... is it worth it to go on a mission to look for various missing parts to put back into a operating/working condition?\nDoes any one know of the existance of a complete parts listing/manual for a factory travco 440 powered air-conditiong dash unit installed in a TRAVCO...??? and if one does... can anyone post it/copy for members?????\nPresuming the default unit is one brand... Sure would be nice to have a check list on what pieces one has and one doesn't and to assist in the finding of the mising/broken parts... Just my $.02 worth...\nBBB 12/05/15

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Does anyone have pictures of their factory air that includes the vents and the controls?\nBelow, are pics of mine that does not have air (except in the roof, of course).\n
DSC_0001.JPG
\n
DSC_0002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1967 Travco 270

Unread post by NobleTruths » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:17 pm

My '68 did not come with a/c from the factory; nor does it have an aftermarket unit.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:34 am

Wow.. sounds like sweaty times in the "older" Travco days...\nMaybe when they changed body styles, (68-70?) air conditioning became standard??..\nThe R12 freon that was used and now banned in the U.S.and only is currently available in Mexico as I understand...\nIt is easily replaced/swapped by R134 in a matter of minutes... Have done a number of\n"conversions" on my old muscle cars...The molecules of R134 are smaller and tend to\nleak out of a non-after market sealed R12 system... Main reason for bad mouthing the conversion.\nWas always demanded/recommended to have it "professionaly" converted...still looking for parts..\nFWIW/IMO\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:48 am

proper hoses (Lined) and oil (ester or PAG) for the compressor and r134 works just fine.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:21 am

As time has gone by, I dont know if conversion kits, with the "oil" to seal the system are even available...\nA moot point as the Travcos are out of business and sure seems like no maintenence parts are available...\neven so... hate to rip off the reamaning pieces I do have... now what... any sources and or manuals??\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:32 pm

R12 is not banned here but you need a certification to buy it and the cost out weights the benefits so no one messes with it anymore.\nThe late 75+ Travcos had factory dash air however the pre75's did not. My father was a Travco authorized installer for Mark IV units of the day. It was basically an under the dash unit installed in the dash. Some kits had vents. The later (75+)that I saw look like they used that same air handler but came off it with the duct work and moved the controls to the dash. Unfortunately my father passed away 5 yrs ago so i can't ask him for more specifics and I was maybe elementary school age back then. Converting to R134 is pretty easy however the York?Tecumseh Compressors (Looks like a square briggs and scrap iron)didn't seem to like the R134. I had issues with conversions where I could not keep the pressures under control. I had to put a bigger condenser in with an aux electric fan. Alot of these had those compressors replaced with a Sanden conversion kits. I don't care for those compressors myself but they seem to work better with R134. You will need to flush the system with a/c flush(de natured alcohol works fine). Then you need to drain and refill the compressor with Ester oil. DON"T use PAG oil . Ester oil can mix with trace amounts of Mineral oil(what was used with R12) PAg oil cannot. Then you need to replace the expansion valve(a royal PIA)with one rated for R134a. Last I saw Nostalgic air still was selling them. That is where I got mine. The also sell the dryer which will also need to be replaced. When you charge it by the sight glass you want to keep the charge a little low. You want to see some bubbles where as with R12 you didn't. The style expansion valve(in fact in my experience and I have done alot of conversions)expansion valve systems in general don't react well to R134a so you have to run the charge a little low or you will burn up the compressor.\n\nhttp://nostalgicac.com/\n\nVintage air makes the reproduction MArk IV units.\nhttp://www.vintageair.com/
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “Travco 270”