Cockpit Air Cond in 270's ?

Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Cockpit Air Cond in 270's ?

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:37 pm

here was an install my father did. It was our 1970 220. He was listed as an authorized repair center in the back of the owners manuals. Aud ra tel Hicksville NY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:55 pm

This history is really helpful. Thanks Ace!\nGuess this means that if the wife wants to stay cool, I'll have to figure out an after market solution, such as Vintage Air.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:01 pm

We run the generator and roof air on Nessie.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:25 am

My dash air equipment is all there but there is no charge in the syatem. If R12 was cheap, I would throw some in and see what happens. \nI also run the generator and roof air as I travel down the road in the summer... or I just open up all the windows.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Funny, that's what my wife said that they did when the Travco was new! Perhaps I should not mess with demonstrated success!\nThanks for all the replies!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:59 pm

I have viewed a number of "redneck" air conditioners on utube using a foam cooler, blocks of ice and a 12volt, 4" computer fan...Google it... just for grins and not running the genset for the roof air to cool the bunk mate...just running from a cigar lighter socket.. it would be all for her...FWIW... \nStill thinking about the air-dynamics of the roof air being removed and instead vented versus a SPT 12k unit internally in the couch area, still on 110v\nBBB

Technician
Technician
Travco Model: N/A (Site Tech!)

Unread post by PrivatePilot » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:13 pm

77Travco wrote:My dash air equipment is all there but there is no charge in the syatem. If R12 was cheap, I would throw some in and see what happens.
\n\nThere are plenty of (very cheap) R12 drop in replacements available, at least on this side of the border. Find a home-based AC guy on Craigslist and he will be able to fix you up - most will do a leak test beforehand to confirm if the system is even remotely tight and worth spending the money on a charge. If it's reasonably tight consider spending the money on the pre emptive leak-sealer most will offer.
- Travcoforum Website Administrator\n- Helping a friend - check out Duckies Longarm Quilting in the Oshawa / Durham Region area! www.duckiesquilting.com

Travco Model: 1977, 270

Unread post by appfan1965 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Acesneights - We are looking at a 77 270 Elite and I was wondering if your's has AC in the dash? \nThe one we are looking at doesn't work. I am wondering if it is worth it to get that fixed. I am not sure what it has in it presently so I guess I am asking what I need to look for in the original equipment?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:23 am

Yes, Mine has dash a/c. As far as if it's worth fixing...that's up to you. These things get pretty hot inside. The argument of running the roof air while driving off the generator has been brought up many times. Coleman a/c told me there is no issue with doing that however my father who was an authorized Coleman and Doutherm installation install and repair center for Travcos would say otherwise. Same witht he generator. Some believe it causes an airflow problem. I can tell you we drove our 220 home 100 miles with the Onan CCK 4.0 running because the alternator crapped out on the engine and it was fine. \nMy father was also authorized for MarkIV and did both dealer installs and repairs on Travco in dash.\nPretty simple system and all the parts needed are still available although I would strongly recommend an R134a retrofit. You can still buy R12 with a certificate(I got mine back in the 90s) but the price puts it out of reach and if you get a leak....kiss alot of money goodbye.\nIf the system is inoperable I would recommend putting a vacuum pump on it first and see if it will even hold a vacuum. If it does then I would take the lines off the compressor and dryer and flush the system with denatured alcohol(A/C flush is all that is). Then replace the dryer with a new one and remove the a/c compressor. Drain it as best you can without flushing. refill with Esther(NOT PAG)oil and reinstall. Then you have to go under the dash and replace the expansion valve with one compatible with R134a. The old r12 ones will work, but the system is open and the new one is designed for R134a. The compressor is likely a Sanyo or variant. Any NAPA should be able to cross it in the four seasons book if the compressor is bad for some reason. \nThe dryer and expansion valve can be gotten from a company called Vintage Air. few others online too. They also sell universal dash vents that are a near perfect match/ I did a thread on this site somewhere about it. I'll look later. Gotta plow snow right now... :x \nHope that helps. I am sure I forgot stuff and I am also assuming you have gauges and knowledge of auto a/c systems. If not I can guide you in more detail.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model: 1977, 270

Unread post by appfan1965 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks Aces. I am going to chase this further. This fat boy likes to stay cool when driving

Return to “Travco 270”