Do I really need 2 rooftop A/Cs?

Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270

Do I really need 2 rooftop A/Cs?

Unread post by diskman » Thu May 19, 2016 4:25 pm

My '75 270 has 2 Coleman A/C units installed and they both work great. However, there are times when I would just like a vent up there to let the heat out. I ran my Kill-A-Watt on the circuits and the front A/C draws 5Kw and the rear one 4Kw.\n\nI cannot run both of the 6Kw Onan anyways. And trying to sleep with both running is amusing from the NOISE and it's way too much cooling for that space. Gets really clammy.\n\nAnother option would be to sell both and get a NEWER quiet unit and vent...\n\nAny suggestions on a QUIET unit? Or should I keep both?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Do I really need 2 rooftop A/Cs?

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat May 21, 2016 7:46 am

The 6k Onan will run both AC units but any one of our options could be done easily enough. I added a second unit and in the summer in Georgia I am glad I did.

Tom

Unread post by Tom » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:22 pm

I have mine in Oreogn and run solar on my roof, but the AC prevents me from mounting panels where I really want them. I found that last summer I did well enough to park the rear of the travco in the shade and the front in the sun where it cot constant solar charge and just left rear windows open with the kitchen vent fan never turning off. \n\nSolar panels on the roof keeping direct sunlight off the roof makes a big difference, shade makes a difference. I am really strongly considering removing the roof mount air, replacing the skylights with the 12v vent fan types and calling it good.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:13 pm

A repeat of a post from some time ago. Google SPT Portable Air conditioner...\nAbout the size of a dehumidifier and is portable and runs on 110volts.\nThis can be moved about on its wheels or installed in a small area \nThis is a 12000 BTU unit not a small 5 t0 6.5 window unit... Self draining too...\nSame as a roof mounted unit... I have had mine for years and am thinking of installing\nit near the side door on the floor. and powering the rear with a power vent...\nIt is more efficient than the roof units \nYou can have a power vent in/on your roof and still have two air conditioners. \nThe pics are from MY unit.. so no smoke from here... \nBTW: A heat pump unit drops off in efficiency as the temperature drops. \nMy whole house in the 80's was "warmed" by a heat pump. After it hit\n40's and dropping it went on full electric..(Ouch). Only good in certain areas of the country..\nSurely not in the north... My $.02 worth... \nHope this can remedy a air conditioner quandry or two...\nBBB\nOh... did I mention it's only 15x15x36 AND uses LESS than 980 watts?..thats less than a toaster or coffee pot !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:54 pm

badbillybiker wrote:A repeat of a post from some time ago. Google SPT Portable Air conditioner...\nAbout the size of a dehumidifier and is portable and runs on 110volts.\nThis can be moved about on its wheels or installed in a small area \nThis is a 12000 BTU unit not a small 5 t0 6.5 window unit... Self draining too...\nSame as a roof mounted unit... I have had mine for years and am thinking of installing\nit near the side door on the floor. and powering the rear with a power vent...\nIt is more efficient than the roof units \nYou can have a power vent in/on your roof and still have two air conditioners. \nThe pics are from MY unit.. so no smoke from here... \nBTW: A heat pump unit drops off in efficiency as the temperature drops. \nMy whole house in the 80's was "warmed" by a heat pump. After it hit\n40's and dropping it went on full electric..(Ouch). Only good in certain areas of the country..\nSurely not in the north... My $.02 worth... \nHope this can remedy a air conditioner quandry or two...\nBBB\nOh... did I mention it's only 15x15x36 AND uses LESS than 980 watts?..thats less than a toaster or coffee pot !!!
\n\nI know well how the heat pump drops off. I got it on clearance for the same price as the Rooftop AC and rarely do I camp when it is below 40 outside. I have used the heat function in it one time and it about ran us out of Nessie with the heat,

Return to “Travco 270”