just got another Travco

Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1972270 commerical travler

just got another Travco

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:46 pm

I have been searching for some 5lug rims and other upgrade parts for my 72 when a 76 270 popped up on my local Craigslist. It was 100 miles away, had 5 lug rims and a 440 for $800, I thought that was a good price. so I decided I'd go take a look. The young couple that bought it off of the scrap haulers truck a few years ago had it placed in the driveway and proceeded to gut it. they didn't try to start it or anything, they just went straight to gutting it. they realized its way to much for them and left it set for the last year.\n\nIts got a ton of parts that I am going to use to get my 72 on the road. the only problem is that the 76's gelcoat is in great condition. friends have asked me if maybe I should just abandon the older one and rebuild the 76. (its got eagles on it!) I think I want to stick with the two door...\n\nI can't believe I have two of them now... neither can my wife.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Re: just got another Travco

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:00 pm

What a deal! Probably has some nice front disks too!\nYou were able to tow it with a pick-up? Sounds challenging.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:29 pm

the thought of towing it was intimidating for sure. I didn't know if it would work or not. I made the tow bar a couple nights before using a new 2-5/16th hitch from Tractor Supply and steel that I happened to have laying on my outside work bench. I used the 72 to mock it up and test fit it. I figured dodge may change a few mounting points on the frame, but I bet they didn't widen it. \n\nThe night I bought the 76 I couldn't get it started, so we pulled the tow bar out of my truck and started taking off the front bumper, still not sure it would fit. But aside from a thin piece of steel inside the cross member that needed to be bent just a bit at the edges, it went right in and we only had to drill one hole out on each side for the bolts.\n\nwe used a friends Ford dually with the ford V10 in it to pull it. it didn't have any problems pulling it. we also didn't go very fast. it is painful to roll along for 100 miles at about 35-45mph. I will say that stopping it took a little effort but his truck did great.\n\nI think I will put a nice coat of paint on the tow bar and make tie down brackets up top of the 72 for it. I don't ever plan on storing anything up there, and it will be out of the way but available if I ever need it.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Yah- the parts list is great for the money. I want to add side windows to my 72, check. I wanted to upgrade to disk brakes up front, check. I wanted a 440, check. I wanted the newer style corner mirrors, check. I needed new turn signal bezels, check.\n\nand as a bonus: a complete Onan genny (pull out slider style), I found two sets of air horns up front, its got old school metal bumper mount spot lights/fog lights up front and in the rear, a new exhaust w/headers, and a non leaking power steering box and a tilt steering wheel and a ladder.\n\nIts even got the original driver and passenger hang down fans (that work) a new style generator start panel. And of course the 1976 eagles... can't forget the eagles.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:52 pm

I wonder if the 76 disk brakes will bolt up to my 72 front axle? or will a front axle swop just be easier?... I will measure the spring mounts, if they are the same I may just swop front axles assemblies.\n\nAre the rear axles the same in a 76 and 72? I will have to take a closer look at that also. the 72 has dual fuel tanks, I wonder if they put in a little heavier leaf spring for that?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:49 pm

I don't know about trying to retrofit the 72 axle. I think that most just swap the whole axle, because the knuckle/spindles would have to be changed anyway. The axle swap is easy, I've heard. Bear in mind that the master cylinder and power unit are going to be different between the two. The 76 will be Hydroboost, where the 72 will be Hydrovac.\n I'm pretty sure that the rear axle and gear ratio are identical, but the rear brakes are not the same between the two.\n I've never worked on a 76, so just parroting what I have seen on this forum.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:54 pm

A testament to your welding skills, being that it all held together :D \n I don't have the skill of the stones to try that. Mine was towed from its 35yr resting spot to my house with a big rig tow truck. Love that AAA RV towing insurance :mrgreen:

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:09 pm

I just measured the front axles.. they measure out the same. some new axle ubolts and a day to take them apart and they should swap out nicely. \n\nwill the disk brakes work with my older brake system or do I need to swap out the master cylinder also? I guess that would ditch the hydrovac system, which I guess wouldn't be that bad. kinda sucks though because I just got that new MC in and all new brake lines ran for the 72.\n\nI also noticed that there is 1" of shims between the front axle and leaf springs of the 76. the 72 has the axle bolted directly to the bottom spring. I guess that's how they ensured there was enough room for the 19.5 tires?\n\nits also interesting that although at first glance the bodies look the same, there are very subtle differences in the details. The 72 has much more intricate lines and details in the body while the 76 is more smooth and without as much "character". seems like a reflection of the times. lots of plastic, drab colors and not as much attention to detail...

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:17 pm

If it is easy enough I would put that hydroboost on the 72 also. You have all the parts for it and everything I have read it is a better system. I have shared a manual on here in the tech documents for the 6.0 NH Onan Power Drawer. Their weak link is the starter bracket and there is a GMC Motorhome parts place that carries heavy duty replacements. Control board is also available. I replaced the front brake pads and calipers with all the parts being ordered from Amazon. New rotors are also available. A while back I saw a Dana 70HD with rear disc brakes on ebay but the lug pattern was wrong and I did not want a mix and match.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:10 am

Definitely go with the Hydroboost setup.

Return to “Travco 270”