Another Ohio Travco!

Author
Travco Model: 1979 Travco 320

Another Ohio Travco!

Unread post by slickandrewstravco » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:23 am

Hiya Gang-\n\nI'm Slick, a working professional musician, living in Columbus, OH.\n\nJust wanted to poke in and say hello! My wife and I just bought a '78 Travco/Foretravel 320 last weekend. \nWe owned a 1977 Airstream Argosy for the last five years, but it being a 28' rear bath model, we decided we needed the extra room and layout privacy that a larger rear bedroom coach would provide. \n\nOriginally, we were looking for an Airstream 345, but unfortunately, the price on those is way too steep! \nAnd besides, when I was a kiddo, Mom and Dad had a '77 Travco 320 that I remember very fondly.\n\nWe just happened to find this one through CL, it was up in Michigan. \nThe fella that owned it apparently didn't use it but once during the entire time he had it... and I suppose he was only the third owner. It seems that his wife didn't like the fact there were no slideouts, having been used to them because of their previous travel trailer.\nCertainly not an issue for us... those damn things leak too much, and I've seen major headaches caused by them for not working properly.\n\nIt's a 320 side bath, with the all-walnut Foretravel interior. The coach is INCREDIBLY clean, and the only three things that I can see that aren't OEM are the carpeting...( HEEDEEEOUSSSS dark brownish-purplish indoor/outdoor commercial style stuff... why didn't they go with a red or orange color to match the furniture?) , the window treatments...(supposedly "custom made", but too short and not wide enough) and that the front A/C unit is gone, having been replaced by a Fantastic Fan. \nOh yeah... ONLY ONE LEAK, too! It's coming from the curbside living area picture window, I ought to be able to stop that really easily. \n\nLOVE the fact that it's Mopar 440/727 powered! Easy to work with, and very reliable... has 55,000 miles on it. Runs like a scalded dog!\n\nI guess the only thing well have to get used to is the "Ten gallons per mile", instead of the Argosy's "Ten miles per gallon"!!! The Argosy only weighed about 9,500 LOADED... I'd imagine that this Travco weighs around 12,000 NOT loaded.\n\nHAHAHA! Well, I bet with a good tune up I can squeeze around at least 8mpg outta the Travco... the carb needs to be gone through, and hopefully by Springtime, I'll have found Gear Vendor for the 727.... that'd easily put me back in the 10mpg range.\n\nWe're gonna take our daughter out in it this weekend, there's an incredibly decent year-round campground up near Marengo, OH. called Cardinal Center. They have a heated indoor pool and very,very nice facilities. \nThat'll give Courtney her "end of the season camping fix", and give me and Kathy a chance to do a shakedown on the coach.\nANY OF YOU GUYS CLOSE ENOUGH (OR NUTTY ENOUGH) TO WANNA CAMP ONE LAST TIME BEFORE THE WNTER ??? Let's meet up at Cardinal Center this afternoon at 5-ish!\n\nAnyhoo-Its getting Winterized on Sunday, and "put up" Sunday afternoon.... CAN'T WAIT for Spring!\n\nI'll post up some pictures after the weekend...\n\nCHEERS!\nSLICK\n\nStaff Edit: I moved this to 270 and posted pics as per OP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Another Ohio Travco!

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Welcome Slick !! Glad we got the logon fixed.\n Look in the Drive train section here. I posted a thread about using a factory Chyrsler O/D tranny with a 440. \nStart a thread in the 320 section with alo of pics when you have time. Would love to see one.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:41 am

Welcome from Texas!\nSounds like you found a pretty nice coach, post up some pics when you get a chance. Always glad when another Travco owner finds this site!

Slick and Kathy's OHIO Travco 320

Unread post by slickandrewstravco » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Well, the weekend shakedown went well! \n\nWe have some bugs to work out of the forced air heating, the fan is noisy and the ductwork needs repair.But everything else, save the "instant hot" water tap on the counter, works like the day it was made!\n\nI think our favorite part of the whole coach is the Flexsteel brand "Mystery Chair". It's a smallish -looking swivel chair that magically folds out into a huge, full length recliner!\n\nThe all-walnut interior oiled and polished very nicely, and the original upholstery cleaned up well.\n\nWe took a bunch of pictures, but they won't load here because of being too "big".\n\nBeing techno-impaired doesn't help me none... so I guess we have to figure out how to shrink the pictures.... I'll post 'em Monday sometime.\n\nCHEERS!\nSlick

Travco Model:

Re: Slick and Kathy's OHIO Travco 320

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:56 pm

You need to re-size the pic's. I use MSoffice to do it but I am sure there are other programs as well. I would definitely be curious to see a picture of that chair!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Slick and Kathy's OHIO Travco 320

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Email them to me. I'll put them up.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Unread post by slickandrewstravco » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Well Gang.... there she is.\nMany thanks to Kenny for all the help with the photos!\nCheers!\nSlick

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:22 pm

Good looking 320... Thanks for posting up the pics!

Unread post by slickandrewstravco » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:07 am

Cool Gang!\n\nYou can see the Flexsteel chair opened up in one of the pictures, and then in the photo looking rearward toward the galley, you see it "closed"... Kathy's purse is on the seat.\nLOVE that damn chair!\n\nAs a sort of funny aside... currently, we're in the process of selling our house 'cause we want to get into something smaller now that it's just the two of us.\n \nANYHOW... it goes to show that sometimes the obvious is so hard to see.... we were in a temporary panic because we "might not have a place right away" to live in, until we found another home.... DUH, uhhhh... we DO have the 320 now, right?\n\nCome to think of it, if it were up to me, we'd full time and just forget about owning another pile o' bricks!\nJust a dream for now,though. \n\nHAHAHAHA!!!\nCheers,\nSlick

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 320

Unread post by 7d6 Travco » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:38 am

Hey Slick- perusing the threads and I saw yours...cool deal. I'm going to be on the hunt for a GV OD unit next week! Have one particular yard I want to start at because they have literally a dozen or so vintage Dodge chassis' to pick from. My 320 only has 26,241 miles on it, so I may only need to have my "Tranny" buddy look the GV unit over, then pull my 727 and give it a check on the bench (new seals & have the convertor check by "Texas Mike" since we are there). \n\nI may even pull the front section of the driveshaft since the GV will lengthen the trans a bit. U-joints, carrier bearings, balance (maybe)...if I get into something, I go "Full OCD." Makes the wife mad unless I am working on the house- you should have seen what I did to her Buick when the tranny valve body fritz'd and toasted it. Let's just say it's got double the power at the wheels, the suspension is all done, and the brakes will stop fast enough to embarrass an AMG

Return to “Travco 320/350”