1975 440 Exhaust gaskets.. Where to buy?

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270

1975 440 Exhaust gaskets.. Where to buy?

Unread post by diskman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Had some ignition issues with the ol' gal this weekend on our 100 mile trip. Had to replace the ignition module, coil and ballast resister on the side of the road. Small town had all the parts tho so no biggie. Delayed our eta by 3 hours tho.\n\nSpark cut out a few times before completely quitting at speed and ended up with one nice backfire. LOUD. I now have a nice exhaust "tick" under load under the headers. Yes, headers. Precious owner installed custom exhaust with some nice headers. Fiber gasket blew out I imagine during the backfire.\n\nCan I just slap a set of 440 gaskets in there and call it good.. Or, is the 440 in the RV different at the exhaust?\n\n\nThanks!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: None - Dodge chassis info

Re: 1975 440 Exhaust gaskets.. Where to buy?

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Regular 440 header gaskets will work. I use the Percy Seal-4-Good Aluminum ones myself on a stock cast iron manifold. Only thing I found that actually holds it's seal over time.\nhttp://www.summitracing.com/search/part ... e/7-2l-440\nMany, with headers, swear by the Copper gaskets for header applications

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by diskman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:04 pm

Awesome. I just picked up a set of Felpros on the way home. I didnt figure mother Mopar would change the layout on the 440-3 from the other 440s. I have a spray can of Permatex Copper Coat that I have had great luck with over the years. Figure I will hose the gaskets down with that as usual, install and torque to 25 or 30#. \n\nI sprayed the bolts down last night with PB Blaster and they have been soaking all night. Talked to the previous owner who installed the headers, and he said he used anti-seize on the bolts many years ago.\n\nIt's gonna be too darn hot out to mess with them for a few days, and all the places I wanted to go for the holiday weekend are booked up. At least I'm not in a rush like usual.\n\nThanks for the verification!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: None - Dodge chassis info

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:34 pm

I do not know if aftermarket header and stock cast iron torque values are the same however the stock manifold torque value is 20lbs and they mean it.\nTighten down to torque\nHeat engine to op temp, let cool\nTorque\nRepeat sequence twice.\n440 exhaust can be a real frustrating pain to get sealed.\n\nAnti-sieze is an absolute must as the bolts go into the water jacket (have water catch tray ready when you remove the bolts). The bolts rust up (far end not head end) and you end up breaking them off if anti-sieze is not used.\n\nDave

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by datsit » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:08 pm

I have used many exhaust gaskets over the past 13 yrs. even the copper gaskets that failed after 100 miles ??$$$ I have had the heads, cast exhaust manifolds & headers machined true but still blew out gaskets in months or 500 -- 800 miles The latest ones REMFLEX have been the best with close to 700 miles not so much as a peep from exhaust,quiet interior & sounds like a Dodge big block should sound like -- BUT it is only a 318ci. TWO thumbs UP to date. !!!!! Not cheap as per other gaskets ($54.23) torque 20 ft lbs, 1/8" thick, they don't need re-tightening, no leaks, 100% guaranteed for 6 months free replacements or money back.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by diskman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:06 am

Got the new gasket installed on the right side last night. Previous owner did NOT use antisieze on the bolts, but they came out fine. I liberally used antisieze when re-installing.\n\nStill have a very slight "tick" due to an exhaust leak. Not nearly as bad as before. It looks like the header tube on #6 is leaking where its attached to the flange at the head. If I get time this evening, I will possibly remove it again and try to braze the leak from the outside. Or just leave it and hope that it closes when hot. Hate to warp the mounting flange.\n\nMy hellacious transmission leak is still there so I need to deal with that for now. I already replaced the shift-shaft seals. Looks like its leaking above that. odd.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:28 pm

Glad you got those bolts out without further issues. ;)

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:24 pm

New exhaust and it is much quieter but the is a leak at the headers. I just ordered a set of Remflex gaskets and will fix it while I replace the motor and trans mounts. I may pull the headers all the way out and wrap them to try and keep some of the heat down in the engine compartment.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by datsit » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:35 pm

I went with the Remflex & very happy with the outcome.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by highwaystar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:12 am

SCE Gaskets makes copper ones that I used with no leaks.

Return to “Engines”