Where to buy a Radiator?

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Travco Model: 1976 270 Rear Bath

Re: Where to buy a Radiator?

Unread post by tcharters » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:39 pm

Awesome suggestion!! One of my lights is pretty rusted, and will not work without a bit of an overhaul, so it might be worth looking into. I saw a thread somewhere on a guy using pvc to make a Cold Air Intake with what i believe to be a K&N filter installed right next to the grill. Pretty sweet idea!!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:26 pm

If you go with pvc (rigid) and a K&N... I think that high of a filter would really harm the game plan... I don't remember ram air systems having anything like a restricted setup compared to a free flowing ram air setup...A flanged setup using flex ducting piping or heater duct hose dumping cold /cool air into the engine compartment... unless you are going to duct thru a "y" connector going into the air cleaner or directly into the carb..On a suction engine the filter would really work...but aspirited I dont think will work well, but like spittin' into the wind you will soon figure out what wind blows where...JMO\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:27 pm

tcharters wrote:This is a great knowledge base, and i thank you all. The first problem this critter was having was overheating. But i am pretty sure it was due to several things. First off, the thermostat was screwed. Second, when i asked the PO about his overheating experience, it did not register until i was testing the system for a blown head gasket that i never asked him what he replaced the leaked fluid with. It was one gal. of pre mix. We ended up dumping another 3.5 gal. into the system to fill it. (maybe this should be a post for the Travco Rescue section.... LOL!) After a new Thermo and added juice, it made it to my house where i wanted to flush the radiator. I had to physically unclog the drain plug with a wire to get it flowing out. I am pretty sure this radiator needs rebuilt! How did your rebuilt radiator do? Also, pre rebuild, with a new thermo and fluid, this baby runs at 200-210. I would love to see it lower!! We have a hill here that is necessary to pass over in order to get out of town that is infamous for blowing up rigs. *basically, what is the best approach when it come to cooling these things??? Rebuild rad? Cold air intake? New high flow water pump? Please shove me in the right direction! Thanks to all of you for your time!
\n\nI did not re core this last one, just had it boiled out and flushed. It worked great. It had 35+ yrs of gook in it. Ran nice and cool last summer even in sweltering heat and the a/c on.\nThe 440's actually run cooler in my experience than the 220's...go figure.\nThey are not available new to my knowledge but you can recore it . Pricey, but hey...labor of love right ???
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:55 am

I have had no cooling issues since performing the work in this thread. I did switch back to a 180 thermostat instead of a 160 and it runs about 190 going down the road at 60mph. If I drive faster or get into a hilly area it will climb to 210 but goes back to 200 - 190 as soon as I get back to 60mph and level roads.\nMy original issue turned out to be a wrong style radiator cap. A Mopar style cap must be used for these radiators. A specific style thermostat is also required.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:28 am

hhmmm. a specific style dodge radiator cap?...pressure or what type was the cure for your problem.. \nAny chance for a replacement number that is working for you? \nCant check mine as I'm down in another town getting a brake job... 1st brake job was worthless...\nTNX\nBBB

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:53 am

Check out my thread called: "Is my engine running too hot" in the engines section.\n\nBBB... Let me rephrase/explain that. I had one of those pressure relief caps with the lever and my system would not build proper pressure with it. I switched to a normal style cap and that's when I discovered that I had not been installing the cap completely on. I had only been turning it to the first notch (hope that makes sense).

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:26 am

TNX.. I was hoping for a magic number to head off potential headaches...\nBBB

Return to “Engines”