Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Is my engine running too hot?

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:08 pm

How are you doing with this ?
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 am

Well... I went out and got a sunburn while floating on the river so I have not been making progress. :oops: \n\n- I checked the top hose for pressure when cold but found none.\n- I don't have any heat risers on my exhaust manifolds.\n- My brand new fan clutch works as it should... and I get good airflow through the front grill area.\n\nI have a new VDO temp gauge and 180 Milodon thermostat waiting to be installed. Hope to get it done this weekend.\nA curious thing is that I noticed is that the 160 Mr Gasket thermostat opens up a bit more and stays open quite a bit longer than the 180 Milodon stat does. (see pic below) Will post results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:02 pm

I did a comparison between the Sunpro and VDO temperature gauges and they both agree with my hand held thermometer.\n See pics below...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:09 pm

I installed the VDO temp gauge as well as the Milodon 180 "high flow" thermostat to match the Summit "high flow" water pump. (Not really sure if that is all just snake oil or not at this point)\n\nThat's when I noticed it...\n\nI checked the radiator cap for the hundredth time and I realized that I had only been installing it only to the 1st notch! (see pics) It was snug but not tight.
Last edited by 77Travco on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:29 pm

I AM CALLING THIS FIXED! :D \n\nWorking from a suggestion from AcesnEights... I noticed the top radiator hose had no pressure when warmed up but did have some (very little) pressure when engine got very hot.\n\nSo, now with the radiator cap correctly installed ALL the way on I went for a drive. Driving around town and in the hills the VDO gauge never went over 200 degrees. The coach ran cooler than it has since I started all this mess and it's 105 here today!\n\nWhen the VDO gauge reads 190, the dash gauge stays near "C" and the temp gauge in the radiator cap reads 160.
Last edited by 77Travco on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:57 am

Pressure in the system hot is completely normal. You just don't want it when you first start it ice cold.\nHmmmm....Seems the rad cap gauge and the dash gauge match. even 190 is ok in grueling heat. Mine was running about the middle on the factory gauge last weekend with an occasional climb to the top of the boxed area on hills. \nBut, my factory gauge didn't move past where yours is when I got it and I knew it was hotter than that by readings I took with my laser so I changed the sending unit and now it moves alot more accurately.\nWhere are you tapped in for the VDO ?
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:23 am

When you mentioned checking for pressure when cold... that's when I noticed that it wasn't building pressure when hot.\n\nI have the VDO gauge tapped in at the water pump housing.\n\nI took the Travco out for another drive since and I can definitely tell a difference. Before, the temperature would slowly climb over time and eventually get to the 220 or even the 230 mark when stopped in traffic, etc. Now the temperature runs lower and remains more steady.

Return to “Engines”