Cruise Control/Speedometer Cables

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Cruise Control/Speedometer Cables

Unread post by RobC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:22 am

Trying to get my speedo to work again and in diagnosing the cable I realized it is actually two cables routed through the cruise control unit. My cruise is 1976 and works off of carb vacuum. However, the rubber boot is torn on the servo unit and I don't even know what the control unit does. \n\nFor speeedo purposes I am going to bypass the cruise control unit and either run one long cable or screw the tranny cable right into the gauge cable (fitting look like compatible male female.)\n\nAny of you guys repaired or replaced your cruise? I definitely want cruise control in the long run and want to know if a new electronic unit is better or can these old vacuum servo's be fixed?\n\nCheers\n\nRobC\n\nAlso: assuming my speedo cables are not broken is there a way to lube these things or do you just buy another one if it gets sticky?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Cruise Control/Speedometer Cables

Unread post by datsit » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:20 pm

You should be able to remove inner cable to lub with white grease (if not bent/kinked or rusted) in most cases you will need to remove both ends then line up to reattach to speedo & trans. You can buy a universil inner speed cable upto 6-8ft (Canada CTC) Petboys,Auto Zone,NAPA, ETC.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Cruise Control/Speedometer Cables

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:59 pm

RobC wrote:Trying to get my speedo to work again and in diagnosing the cable I realized it is actually two cables routed through the cruise control unit. My cruise is 1976 and works off of carb vacuum. However, the rubber boot is torn on the servo unit and I don't even know what the control unit does. \n\nFor speeedo purposes I am going to bypass the cruise control unit and either run one long cable or screw the tranny cable right into the gauge cable (fitting look like compatible male female.)\n\nAny of you guys repaired or replaced your cruise? I definitely want cruise control in the long run and want to know if a new electronic unit is better or can these old vacuum servo's be fixed?\n\nCheers\n\nRobC\n\nAlso: assuming my speedo cables are not broken is there a way to lube these things or do you just buy another one if it gets sticky?
\nhttp://www.travcoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=328
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “Engines”