Ignition amd Ballast resistor

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Ignition amd Ballast resistor

Unread post by RobC » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 am

Finally got around to taking some pictures of my rig. This one is the Ignition module and the Ballast resistor. Question: The ballast resistor looks original but does not look like the white plastic kind with four plugs. Mine has a printed circuit board inside some kind of epoxy setting mounted next to the ignition module.\n\nCan someone help me identify this? It is right next to the Ignition module on the passenger side. I want to get a spare but uh.... mine doesn't look like everyone elses....\n\nRObC
WIN_20140915_183255.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Ignition amd Ballast resistor

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 pm

can you post a better pic of it ? I have never seen anything like it. I wonder if it is some kind of kit to eliminate the ballast and maybe the coil is 12v ???
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Here are a few more pics of the weird ballast resistor and coil.\n\nThe coil is newer and says "12v" on the side.\n\n
WIN_20140918_171849.JPG
\n\nHere is a few pics of the ballast resistor thing. There are three units attached to the bell housing, the Ignition module which looks new, the weird Ballast resistor on top and another metal case below it about the same size all wired together.\n\n
WIN_20140918_171930.JPG
\n\n\n
WIN_20140918_172452.JPG
\n\nIn the last pic below what is the big black round thing with vaccum hoses coming out of it?\n\nRobc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1972 Mahal

Unread post by Travco72 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:43 pm

I have a 1972 413 which we converted to electronic ignition using the Mopar kit long ago and I do not know what the "weird ballast resistor thing" is but the "metal case below" that you refer to is your voltage regulator (I believe) which works in conjunction with your alternator output.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:50 am

you got me Rob,\nI have never seen what you have.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Well everyone: I figured my weird ignition issue:\n\nThe "weird ballast resistor thing" I so eloquently described above is an electronic speed control switch. the schematics say it was a variant for "California only"\n\nThe wiring goes to a vacuum solenoid mounted to the intake manifold that then goes to a plunger/diaphragm connected via the throttle linkage to carb.\n\nNow What I am trying to figure out is what did this do? Was it a governor of some sort to limit downhill speed while on cruise control?\n\nMy cruise control unit is shot but it appears to be all there (cables, Diaphram, vacuum hoses and and control box (under driver side mounted to the frame). I am disabling the cruise control for now and expect this electronic speed switch is not necessary.\n\nI found my ballast resistor by the way, long skinny 4 prong type underneath my EIM. \n\nMystery partially solved. Any info you guys have on the speed control thing. let me know. again mine is a 1976.\n\nRobC

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:34 pm

In summary:\nI have a voltage regulator a ballast resistor, an electronic ignition module and a speed control unit all mounted on a bracket attached to the bell housing.\n\nRobC

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:20 pm

I have never seen one. You got me on that.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:32 pm

Yep... It's an electronic speed switch. A California only item. I found some info about it in the motor home chassis service manual back when I was researching carbs.\n\nCarburetor model R-7090A is equipped with a throttle position sensor system which consists of an electronic speed switch , an electronically controlled vacuum solenoid valve and a vacuum actuated throttle positioner.\nThe systems function is to prevent unburned hydrocarbons from entering the atmosphere through the vehicles exhaust system when the engine is decelerated from a high RPM. The electronic speed switch receives ignition pulses from the 5 ohm ballast resistor terminal connecting to the electronic ignition control unit. It then senses when the engine exceeds 2000 RPM and allows vacuum to energize the throttle positioner. When this positioner is energized, a throttle stop is provided which will inhibit the throttle from returning to the idle position. When the throttle is released, it will return to the new stop position (positioner energized) calibrated for a steady-state engine speed of 1750 RPM. As the engine is decelerating, the electronic speed switch senses the engine speed drops 2000 RPM and de-energizes the throttle positioner. This allows the throttle to return to the normal idle stop position an the engine will continue to decelerate to idle speed. This operation positions the throttle partially open (1750 RPM idle whenever the engine decelerates from a speed above 2000 RPM) to a speed just below 2000 RPM. This provides sufficient air flow through the engine to adequately dilute the air-fuel mixture.\nIt is essential that the curb idle speed adjustment be made using only the curb idle speed screw on the carburetor. Curb idle speed adjustment must not be made using the adjustment for the vacuum throttle positioner. Improper adjustment of the throttle positioner may result in excessive curb idle speed.\nAt completion of all idle set or throttle positioner adjustments, the engine must be cycled to a speed above 2500 RPM manually to check for proper idle return.\n\nor... you could just eliminate this circuit and proceed as normal. :D\n\nHere is a diagram that I found of this system...

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks 77- So it was an emissions thing in CA? that makes sense although it sounds friggin dangerous to me, an electronic circuit/vaccum/mechanical linkage that won't let the motor rev down!?\n\nI am going to disable the whole thing. Should just be able to disconnect the ESS rom the Solenoid. I am rebuilding the Tquad this weekend so good time to remove unnecessary stuff.\n\nRob

Return to “Engines”