Need a water pump and carb

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Need a water pump and carb

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:05 am

A little looking around the old Travco today and when checking the loose belts I discovered a bunch of slop in the water pump. I need one of those and was wondering which one that is available is the best for the old girl. I also found that somewhere in its past someone stuck a Quadrajet on top of the engine and to say they rigged it is being polite. The choke on the primaries is non existant and the choke coil is currently connected to the top butterflies on the secondaries and has it locked open. I was looking at this from summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-210236 for the carb but could use help with the water pump. Any suggestions?\n\nThanks\nPaul

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Need a water pump and carb

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:48 pm

ugh!\nIMO... switch as long as you are contemplating, to a 1406 Edelbrock (sp) get a carb adaptor that fits on the 440 manifold \n(a aluminum spacer plate) and a shifting linkage kit for the carb/Transmission. Why replace... IMO, junk with junk...The Edelbrock (sp) Runs great out of the box. IMO the t-quad is as efficent as a toilet sitting atop the engine. JMO... My working TQ is gettting replaced as soon as I get the brakes done. (lousy sluggish response) Did the changes on my other Travcos and was really satisified with the swaps...still have pics n' part numbers for references on my last coming up swap...All bought from Summit.\nBTW FWIW Acesneights recently posted a part number list for known various parts, inluding the water pump.\nBBB\nUpdate.12/05/14... The actual carb number for my installs that came from Summit was a 600 cfm 1406 Edelbrock... \nChecking on the 800 cfm edlebrock just posted... I believe the 600 cfm series was/is more efficient.\nHere is the pamplet from my installations... HTH & FWIW\nPS: Acesneights experience was contrary to mine. My carbs had NO markings other than original factory markings.\nIt does sound like he got a return by accident or Summits sloppy return tracking policy...As I am close enough to drive for my purchse I can inspect it at the counter ...\nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by badbillybiker on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:59 am

I would think about the Edelbrock but many years ago in my days as an auto mechanic I had some not so good experiences with them. The TQ is what it is and is what came from the factory. A QJ with the secondaries held open is not the way to stay. If edelbrocks quality has improved since the mid 90's with their carbs I may consider it.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread post by RobC » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:27 pm

That is the one I am looking at KB2. \n\nMy TQ needs rebuilding and my local mopar street rod guy said they are easy to rebuild as long as the Phenolic does not chip or crumble. He advised ditching it and getting the Edelbrock Thunder Series 800 CFM (EDL 1813_) at Summit.\n\nI have grand plans for a Cummins swap on my 76 (it has the hydroboost brakes) so I am torn on spending series dough on a new Edelbrock $420) although the reman TQ you have listed is only about $100 cheaper. Hmmmmm.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:47 pm

If you run an Edelbrock(a Carter AFB with weber parts) you NEED to swap to an Aluminum intake or you will have serious heat soak issues. It will bolt up to the cast iron intake but good luck starting it after you stop somewhere for lunch on a hot day or the stink of boiling gas for about 2 hrs after you shut down. There was a Holley carb meant specifically to replace trhe Thermopuke. it is a spreadbore version of a Holley 600 vac sec.\nThe Thermopuke is actually the best carb to run as far as the heatsoak but the issue is the bowls are a form of bakerlite and crack very easily and that can cause a serious engine fire. You can crack them just by tightening the carb mounting bolts too tight. In the links page, Allstate carb on Long Island is one of the best around and he has some of those Holleys in stock. He will work with you on the core if you can supply him with a decent core of something else. Read my thread on my carb issues.\nHonestly, if I was certain I was gonna keep the 440, I would look into aftermarket fuel injection. with the crap ethanol gas nowadays Carb's are pretty much a thing of the past.\ncheck this link:\n\n\nhttp://www.travcoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=152
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:18 pm

Here is a link to my thread on getting my engine to run cooler. It has some water pump info and pics... viewtopic.php?f=20&t=183&start=10\n\nIf I had to replace my Thermoquad, I would get a remanufactured unit from Summit. The TQ works well on the 440 and I like the performance and drivability it offers.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:25 pm

I just ordered a reman 850 cfm Thermoquad off of Ebay for the old girl. The guy selling has quite a few rebuilt TQ's and great feedback. I got one for $160 with a best offer and it is for the truck 440. He has others for high performance big and small blocks but they were more expensive. The engine ran fine once warmed up with the Quadra jet but with the secondaries held open by the choke linkage it was doing quite poorly economy wise.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:26 pm

I think I am going to go with the NAPA water pump that is supposed to be specific to the 440-3.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Unread post by RobC » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:40 pm

$160 sounds ALOT more reasonable than the $300 from Summit. I am in the same boat so let me know the new one performs.\n\nRobC

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:25 pm

I think you made a good decision on both items. I would also be curious to know how well that $160 carb works for you.

Return to “Engines”