Engine Removal from 270?

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Re: Engine Removal from 270?

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:30 pm

72twodoor270,\n This is great info!\n Did you leave valve covers and exhaust manifolds on during removal? Happen to have any pics of the operation?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri May 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Glad to read you have decided to do the "job" and be confident in all the rest of the unit. Happen to notice that it is listed as a "commercial"? This means two entrance doors?. For yourself and others, me included. would like a pic of the alaignment marks on the timing chain when you get the front cover off. Also loosely presuming every time you backed the engine up by hand the chain was slipping/jumping more. Just a FYI... don't know how far your expertise goes or if you have a motor friend.... If the rings appear to be good, no smoke etc. Kick about checking rod and main bearings. Oil pump maybe, but while its out would be a good time. The rods take a constant pounding pulling that 7 tons under, again a constant load. Goto a "reputable" parts store and get a plasti-gage for bearing clearances package/kit. Clearance shouldnt be more than.003 IMO. Check bottom of rod bearings for wear to the next layer of babbit. Mains not so much wear as just supporting a rotating mass. Thrust/main bearing also not considered as it is not a standard shift...Rods are the heart... And the prices are very affordable including a half inch torque wrench. your choice of course..click or beam. maybe a washer or two at the oil pump spring? ...Been there etc. Some times with things done while in the frame it will sometimes be called a inframe major but no liners etc here... of course other opinions are needed to assist this undertaking............JMO/Babbling/FWIW.\nBBB

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by highwaystar » Fri May 27, 2016 4:09 pm

Mine is a 72. Picked up by manifold plate. \n\nI think in the next few years, after I get some resolution to the lousy brake issue, I may build a stroker 440 with aluminum heads for a bit more towing power and aluminum will help keep temps down.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1972270 commerical travler

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:12 pm

I didn't remove the valve covers or the exhaust mans. I did cut the exhaust pipe though since they were in rough shape.
ready to pull the 413-1.jpg
Travco bumper bolts.jpg
413-1 engine removal.jpg
413-1 out of the travco.jpg
engine out ready for cleaning.jpg
[attachment=0]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 72twodoor270 on Fri May 27, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:12 pm

Bath time for the 413
engine getting a bath.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:16 pm

Billy- Its a Commercial 270. Two doors. I will probably start gutting it tonight or tomorrow while I sort out this engine. \n\nI love the idea of a rear bedroom area with a door. I plan on reconfiguring the layout so I can have a pocket door that will shut that area off.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:22 pm

I found a Chevy (Isuzu) NPR tilt cab truck near me that has a running 5.3 diesel in it. I have been seriously thinking that since I am pulling the 413 out, I should buy it for an engine/transmission and axle swop. diesel engine, modern rims, disc brakes... and the 413 is already out...hmmm\n\nI may drive up and look at it and take some measurements to see if its possible. I think the axle swop would be ok, but I'm not sure a 5.3 diesel has enough guts...

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Do not assume you have all of the water out of that 413 when you pull the water pump off!!! holy hell. I thought I had it all drained... HA! I had rad fluid all over inside my little shop/work place. and that water pump must weigh 80lbs. \n\nI had all of the bolts out and it showed no sign of letting go of the block. I tapped it with my rubber mallet just a bit and kinda tugged at it. \n\nIt popped off, I almost blew out my L7 catching that thing and I then I had rad fluid gushing all over the place from 4 different spots from the block. I am impressed how much fluid is in that block at any given time.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks for the picks! They are a big help.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Did you remove any of the chassis tunnel/firewall pieces prior to the removal? Mine has some sheet metal that is attached to plywood etc., in that area. It appears to be some of the structure that the engine cover/dog house is connected to. I don't see it in your pics, so I'm guessing that you removed it. That sheet metal, which has some 90 deg flange bends in it, is what I think will give me problems. Without it, from your pics, doesn't look too tough. See attached pic to give you a better idea of what I am referring to.

Return to “Engines”