Alternator issue

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Alternator issue

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:53 am

Does your compressor look like the one in the picture? The 1" longer belt is the most likely culprit.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: None - Dodge chassis info

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Just looked at my 77 chassis and it looks like what is in the Dodge manual\nImage\n\nblock - spacer - alternator - triangle bracket.\n\nThe bushing in the alternator can make this hard to fit if it is not seated correctly

Travco Model: L'Esprit 1977 Dodge class C

Unread post by AZSpeedBuggy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:43 pm

strangest thing...I removed the power steering belt, started the engine and rev it up...no squeals...OK, maybe the squeal is from the PS belt or the PS pump itself? added the second belt to the alternator (because I bought another one yesterday), now alternator has two belts, started the engine, rev it up, no squeal. reinstall the the PS belt, started the engine, rev it up...no squeal. drove it around the block, speeds up to 60 MPH, no squeal. Sitting in Park, if I rev it up, high RPM, it might squeals a little. Don't know what fixed it...maybe 'cause it's Sunday?\n\nMy AC compressor is mounted TDC, not to the side as in the new engine picture.\n\nI don't think the 1-inch longer belt is a problem, nor having two belts solved the problem...don't know what fixed it, but so far all is well...\n\nthanks to everyone with your inputs and pictures...

Unread post by AZSpeedBuggy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:50 pm

Dave77Chieftain, It didn't have the "spacer". once installed, you can see the bolt threaded into the block. I think, the PO, misplaced it before my time. Maybe, next time, I'll, make a "spacer" for it...looks to be about 1 inch long...

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: None - Dodge chassis info

Unread post by Dave78Chieftain » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:27 pm

The spacer (between head and alternator) makes sure the alternator does not flex (mpve) when it is under load. I would cut a piece of 1/4 or 1/2 inch pipe to place in there. Otherwise the alternator will be floating on the pivot bolt and you are running the risk of a mechanical failure.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:18 am

low budget advice... FWIW...\nWith the advent of so many photo taking "toyz"... IPhone, go-pro's, dash cams, tablets etc ....\nWould it not be smart to take ( a lot of) pics of a/your project... BEFORE you start down that road???\nI take a lot of pics etc. and as they do not require developing like in the "old" days...\ntake as many as you feel you need and "DELETE" the rest... IMO\nIMO... the squeeling is not from a cat caught under da' hood but maybe old glazed belts screaming in protest of "higher" revs?\nEvery once in a while, a cheap fast fix is belt dressing which leaves a tacky surface for the belts to grip...:no more noise"\nbut the actual basic problem still remains ... \nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:21 am

I am glad you found the problem. Sounds like it was in the Power steering as it stopped when that belt was off. It also stayed gone after putting it back on.

Unread post by AZSpeedBuggy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:13 am

I already hammered myself on not taking pictures before the task...I normally do...but for some reason this time, I guess I was thinking...How hard is it to swap out an alternator, no problem...\n\nthose camera shots of the top of the alternator was squeezing the camera between the fan shroud and engine, and under the upper radiator hose, etc...one congested area...\n\nI glad it's over, now for the next million things I need to do...

Return to “Engines”