Alternator issue

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Travco Model: L'Esprit 1977 Dodge class C

Alternator issue

Unread post by AZSpeedBuggy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:15 pm

need some technical advice...installed alternator on 440 Dodge engine...IS the alternator installed correctly in this picture or should the alternator be installed rearward (aft) of the "rigid bracket"...I have it installed as picture shows and getting a terrible whine at RPM above idle...thinking the pulleys are not aligned...can't remember how it was original installed (brain fart), and seem really difficult to install rearward of rigid bracket...maybe somebody knows for sure, or look at their rig and let me know...thanks...\nImage[/URL]][/img]

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Alternator issue

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:14 pm

Saw this question on the face book page and I forgot to check my own. Was checking it over today and found a leaking brake caliper. I will take a look and a picture and post it here in a little while.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Looks to me like the rigid bracket goes to the outside of the alternator ear. I have two pictures of Nessie's set up.\nI also noticed that the belt is riding in outer grove on mine but yours is in the inner. I do not have a belt squealing issue and the alternator and water pump were replaced by me a year ago. I should look through those pictures and see what I have as I had the radiator out for repair at the time.\n\n\nImage\nImage

Unread post by AZSpeedBuggy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:00 am

thanks for the input...I was having a heck of a time trying to install it aft of the bracket...wouldn't line up like something was blocking it, so I installed it as pictured (fwd of bracket). idle is fine, but over idle squeals like a pig...I tried the belt of both grooves of the alternator pulley, same effect...new alternator and new belt...don't want to reposition alternator until I get a warm fuzzy it were it belongs...

Unread post by AZSpeedBuggy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:15 am

here a picture of the old alternator, the front tab ear (left side on alternator) has rub mark...makes me think it was mount fwd of the bracket...if it was mounted aft of the bracket, I think it would be clean...\n[img][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/A ... fqsrmj.jpg[/img][/img]

Unread post by AZSpeedBuggy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:17 am

not sure why the last picture didn't show and has a link instead???

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:13 am

A couple more pics of the mounting from the front. Was changing the water pump and having the radiator repaired. One picture shows a slide between the ears that would have prevented it from going in any other way.\n\nSorry for the links. My Photobucket is almost full and I am too cheap to pay for more.\n\nhttps://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1E48E98D68E45AFB!2480&authkey=!AG0ICleWxsy2yb4&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG\nhttps://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1E48E98D68E45AFB!2473&authkey=!AIR66FvaimL0eMU&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG\nhttps://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1E48E98D68E45AFB!2489&authkey=!ACr7ZxjqSLd9brk&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

Unread post by AZSpeedBuggy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:56 am

great pictures...the new alternator has the "slide" too...was sticking out aft about 1 inch, I pushed it in the match the old alternator but still have a gap at the fwd ear. I'm getting that warm fuzzy to reinstall the alternator...my rig is a 1977 class C, so configuration is a little different: lower adjustment bracket is different and an AC compressor mounted at TDC. My power steering pump and brackets are mounted low near the oil filter. I think even with my radiator removed, I wouldn't have the access a Class A has...\n\nI have never changed a water pump on a 440, so it's the part with only 4 bolts...\n...and do you know the belt number for your alternator...\nthanks for the help here and on FB...

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:17 am

I found this picture and if this is the set up you have your bracket location is correct. You need a matched pair of belts the right length for it not to squeal.\n\n
Engine_assy_front_resized (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread post by AZSpeedBuggy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:43 am

looks brand new...AC is more to the side than mine, mine is almost TDC...like that tension bracket, I don't have one of those...I'll get another belt and see what happens, however, I did run it with one belt earlier and it didn't squeal until the swapped out the alternator and one inch longer belt...\n\nIf I could go back in time...I would have took a picture of the bracket before removing the alternator...which I normally do, but for some reason, I was being retarded...

Return to “Engines”