Wrong Carb?

Post here for engine related Discussion
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Wrong Carb?

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:20 pm

Finally getting around to doing a tune up...Plugs are absolutley covered with gunk, junk n grease...\nAnyhow after removing the air cleaner, it was noticed that the top of the carb is what seems to be... \na aluminum topped TQ? No plastic to be seen anywhere...\nWhat the heck, had thought all travco's TQ's had a thermo-plastic bowl covering...\nIs this worth saving ala rebuild or swap the top onto a new rebuild... \nAny benefit to this???.\n1974 440 Travco... IKTK.\nBBB

Travco Model:

Re: Wrong Carb?

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:42 am

How does it run? I am considering buying one of those Thermoquads from Summit racing for around $315.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:55 am

no clue on previous tune up..... found reciept of a TQ rebuild in 1992. If the idle is not watched, it seems to load up..\nAlso seem to be a choke setting problem/issue but need a complete tune up for a starting line/point. The TQ has worked for 80k miles and I currently see no need for a different brand replacement. Due to lousy work and poor brake repair experience,\nI still dont trust it yet to go out on the road. Only driving about the storage lot so far.. hopefuly to keep what brakes i do have free from locking up. Thats as much motoring experience with this unit so far...FWIW/HTH\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:11 pm

The top of the thermoquad is aluminum. Only the fuel bowls/bowls are plastic.\nImage\n\nThat is what the top should look like.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks for the photo... The carb you are showing is exactly what I have. Was under the wrong??? impression that the cover for this carb was made out of a phenolic-resin and that was due to remedy a early serious vapor lock situation necessitating (had to find my spell checker) the new resin design... Surprised to see the same metal carb top on your much newer Travco..\nHad a fleeting thought it might be old and special. Your carb looks much cleaner but the engine looks as %$##% as mine. Have to switch computers to enclose pictures. \nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:50 pm

The Center of the carb (fuel bowls/center body) are phenolic Resin. The top and bottom plates are aluminum. Carters other 4 barrel is known as the AFB which stands for aluminum fuel bowl

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:17 pm

As I am familiar with Holleys, Carters and Edelbrocks, I had always thought the TQ was a GM pos....and had phenolic resin tops. Now aware of my errors. THE BODY is of resin.DUH!!\nAnyhowz...that looks intimidating to rebuild. Can do the others.. but this? Will have to watch the u-tube movies for this one!\nThe other laptop is Mint17.03 and this is a XP...Here a couple of dirty pics... enjoy.\nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:05 pm

The Thermoquad is a Carter. The Quadrajet is the GM spredbore

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:25 pm

A carter???? All my dodges and fords never came with this... Have a holley double pumper at 750 I would rather rebuild and mod to fit than tackling this "carter"... Left over thats been in the garage for some years...have an old dual quad t-bird manifold with upside down holleys that I know wont fit either...Thanks for the furnished updates and NFOI...Still doesnt change my plugs... What a miserable job so far... Just labeling the plug wires and pulling them off the plugs was/is bad... NOT looking forward to removing and replacing the plugs...I bet I have lost 3 square inches of surface skin on each hand due to the close confines...Maybe pull the front wheels for better access? might be an excuse to use that new lug crank multiplier tool!\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Believe it or not it is not hard to work on. Had to replace the accelerator pump on mine.

Return to “Engines”