Checking and Filling Master Cylinder

Post here for Brake System related Discussion
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Checking and Filling Master Cylinder

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:33 am

How do those of you with HydroVac equipped models check the master cylinder's fluid level? On my '71 the MC cover and associated hold down bolt are about an inch (just guessing) from the steel bottom of the driver's side floor, so without removing the front wheel and doing all sorts of mirror contortions to see the level, it seems pretty tough. Filling also seems tough!\n Have any of you cut a hole in the driver's side floor to access the MC cover from the top? If not, any reason why this should not be done? If so, any pics?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Checking and Filling Master Cylinder

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Done by factory or owner. Cut hole atop location of MC inside Travco on driver side.\nHere is an example of an inspection plate that can be gotten at almost any rv parts store.\nA budget price of $1.00 for a dedicated "turkey baster" from the Dollar Tree will do the filling.\nCan also be used on other rv projects. My last three Travcos all had the inspection plate installed.\nFWIW/HTH\nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:45 pm

Nessie has an inspection plate.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Does the base for this inspection plate mount on top of the final flooring material, or do you cut a hole in the (carpet, tile, etc.) so that you can get to the inspection cap?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:27 pm

the hole is cut to the dia. of the flange. flange goes down atop the carpet\nand crushes carpeting thru the screwing down action. place the cap, and\nproject is more or less done... liquid nail a patch of carpet atop the lid if \ndiscretion is in the mix..or peel carpeting back, install and cut a flap to \naccess or just paint and have a spare cap if original gets a bit trashy... \nmine is carpet covered and painted black...nuttin' classy about da' install.\nHTH\nBBB

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:33 pm

I use a small mirror to check the fluid level. If I were to need to add fluid I can then access the master cylinder from the access hole under my carpet.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by highwaystar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:47 pm

On mine someone installed a "door" that cuts straight across floor and through C channel brace to the engine compartment opening. Also allows access easy access to the dipstick. Probably not the best idea as compromises some structural support with that c channel.

Return to “Brakes”