1974 Hydro-vacs not working good...

Post here for Brake System related Discussion
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

1974 Hydro-vacs not working good...

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:39 am

Mechanic has done all that can be done on my 1974 Travco. New everything...New hydrovacs, rotors, wheel cylinders, Mc, calipers etc. all that you can buy/replace for this system...Months, not weeks into this unit.. He cannot get a good stopping /braking action with this system. He has adjusted and bled numerous times.., new mc etc. He is not happy with the braking action with this 1974.Hydro-Vac system.. As I had gotten this unit with bad brakes, I/we do not have a braking comparison... What is to be expected?... All my others had hydro-boost etc. and no problems, this one is THE oddball! About ready for a release and heading out n about...I think... Any input as to what the hell is with this year model...The test drives have more miles than I have driven it...\nBBB 04/13/16

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: 1974 Hydro-vacs not working good...

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Well, Mine is a 74. It stops reasonably well. In fact I towed my Atv's and my VW Golf behind it with no problems.\nDescribe the problem with more detail. Let's do a Diagnostic checklist. Answer these questions:\nIs the pedal soft or hard ?\n\nDoes the pedal feel low ?\n\nDoes pumping the pedal make it stop better ?\n\nDo the brakes fade quickly ?\n\nAre the front pads metallic ?\n\n\nHow much vacuum is the motor producing ?(will need a vac gauge to test)\n\n\nIs the Brake warning light on the dash lit or does it come on when you hit the brakes very hard ?\n\n\nDoes it pull to one side while braking or feel like the fronts are stopping more than the backs or vice versa ?
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “Brakes”