TravcoForum.com

Travco Classic Motorhome Support & Discussion Forum

Skip to content

Change font size

Board index » Maintenance » Steering,Suspension and Tires
Post here for Steering ,suspension and tires discussion

Larger tire options for building lifted Travco?

Unread postby L_S on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 pm

I see some people mention they are running 225/70 - 19.5" tires on their travcos. This calculates to about a 32" tall tire. Or a Samson 8R19.5 which is supposed to be 34" tall..

I am dreaming of a lifted travco with bigger tires to match, maybe something like 38" tall all-terrain tires? How much room is there in the fender wells for wider tires? Preferably I could keep the tires from protruding out of the wheel wells so they aren't always throwing a bunch of road grime and rocks up onto the body.

Just daydreaming and it is kinda hard to think up how much lift / tire height is 'necessary' / aesthetic : I would like to build something 4x4 with a somewhat aggressive stance and great ability on icy roads, sandy beaches etc, and gain a little bit more departure angle considering the body's long overhang beyond the rear axle. Something that looks cool and when you look at it , you wonder woah is that thing 4WD?
L_S

Travco Model: Nothing yet

Re: Larger tire options for building lifted Travco?

Unread postby KB2CRK on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:21 am

I know there have been some with larger wheels and tires. There were axle swaps or chassis swaps to get it done.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/whereisbase ... e_internal
KB2CRK

Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread postby L_S on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:26 am

Great link, and LOL! - I saw that rig at the "beach" at Arapahoe Basin ski area on March 6 ( last week ) and started searching for "1960s dodge motorhome" (his says DODGE above the grille ) after skiing all day.

I snapped a couple quick pictures for my reference. That Travco looked really awesome and made me want one. And I think they had a wood stove burning inside all day 8-)

Dang it! I should have gone and said hello to their group.
L_S

Travco Model: Nothing yet

Unread postby 77Travco on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 am

1) Find a Travco first... make sure it is the one you really want. I would look for a 1968 or older 270 or a 1969 and older 210 if that's the body style you really like. Maybe consider the 220's with their squared off back ends.

2) You will probably want to find a donor vehicle (like a F-550) and do a complete axle swap. This is the time to plan the lift and wheel/tire size.

3) This would be a major undertaking but well worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle for years to come.
77Travco

Travco Model:

Return to Steering,Suspension and Tires