In need of turn signal switch

Post here for Steering ,suspension and tires discussion
Author
Travco Model: 77 Dodge Travco 320

In need of turn signal switch

Unread post by DrMopar383 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:40 pm

I'm unable to keep my right turn signal on and am searching for a replacement switch or ideas for using from another vehicle. Is there a rebuild kit for the steering gear? I have no power steering whatsoever and am not familiar how this hydro boost system operates. Thanks in advance.

Travco Model: 1972 Starcraft Starcruiser

Re: In need of turn signal switch

Unread post by 1sharpstar » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 am

I believe the turn signal switch is a basic item most napa stores should be able to get it. it is a pain to get to as you have to pull the steering wheel. but I would take it to napa and see if they can locate it.
first I have to ask did your chassis not come equipped with power steering or is it not hooked up?
If its not equipped you will have to locate a pump two lines and a replacement gear box. all this can be done with a little research.

if its not hooked up do the following.
  • I would imagine you or someone has removed the belt for one reason or another (most likely a leak).
    I would start by replacing the belt.
    Then top off your pumps reservoir.
    Turn on the motor and turn the wheel back and forth (from stop to stop) a few times this will fill the system. do this a few times then check the level in the resistor topping off as needed.
    This is also a good time to look for leaks. Most common is from the input shaft seal. This can be fixed with gear box in place!
Never half ass two things at once. \nWhole ass one thing.

Travco Model: '68 270?

Re: In need of turn signal switch

Unread post by Mountainmade » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:53 pm

My experience is the plastic gets brittle and the arms that keep the lever in position snap off. Super common part, damn near (or entirely) universal on all Dodges of the era

Return to “Steering,Suspension and Tires”