Electrical Gremlins

Post here for living area electrical.
Author
Travco Model: 1977 Travco 270

Electrical Gremlins

Unread post by ColoradoDan » Thu May 25, 2017 8:44 pm

OK, I need some help, when I purchased my Travco (1977 270) the turnsignals didn't work. The PO put in LED's front and back and the hazards work great but the individual turn signals only come on and don't flash (exterior) and the turn indicator on the dash is very dim. I have replaced the flasher unit with one that is compatible with LED's but still no joy. In addition to that when the hazards come on all four lights in the back flash, not sure what the original rear light configuration was in the travco, one red and one white per side or two reds lights per side. What I need is a copy of the wiring diagram or a place to purchase one. Also the heat doesn't work, the fan blows air but the temp never increases, there is a temp knob on the dash but I cant get it to move, not sure if it is supposed to rotate or pull for heat. I can turn on the air flow to the DEF, DRVR air and PASS air just no heat! A description of how all the knobs work would be wonderful (city temp, highway temp off for the A/C). I've figured out about 75 percent but not the rest. Also has anyone replaced their headlights? Mine are extremely dim and I would like to upgrade to halogen for better brightness!! Any operator manuals and electrical diagrams would help a lot. Thanks for any and all help!! \nDan

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Electrical Gremlins

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri May 26, 2017 6:10 am

Hello Dan\nThe heat knob pulls out like the rest of the controls. Could be the valve at the heater core is stuck closed. It is actuated by a cable running from that knob. Did the led compatible flasher have a wire coming out of the back of it? If so it needs to be attached to a good ground. If not then the leds don't draw enough current to activate it. It may still be the flasher. I run leds in mine. As for the rear lights I believe they were one red and one white per side but many have the 4 red across the back and have been wired as such. Headlights are available in halogen. The part number would be H6024. I put a set of Hella H-4 halogens in mine. They work great. If the halogens are dim check the grounds as the headlight buckets have ground wires coming off of them due the the lack of metal where they are mounted. The AC switch with its city hwy settings I don't have a clue about. Nessie was missing hers dash AC when I got her. I attached a wiring diagram pulled from my 76 77 manual. I hope it helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri May 26, 2017 6:42 am

These are the headlight I am using.\nhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G72SKQ/re ... sc=1\nThis is the flasher I used on Nessie and my 86 Dodge truck. Both are running LEDs for external lamps.\nhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXLH7CG/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Unread post by ColoradoDan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks for all the help!! Hopefully I can work on it this weekend.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:38 pm

No problem

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:13 am

The 2 red lights in the rear are combination of tail/brake/turn signal lights. The 2 white are reverse lights. If all 4 are coming on together then sounds like someone has jumpered something. Make sure you have a charged up battery and a good working 12 volt test light and dive right in. \nBe sure that all the circuits have a good ground(s). Feedbacks due to bad grounds will do weird things like dim lights or other things working/not working that should/shouldn't be. Good luck!

Unread post by ColoradoDan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:02 pm

So I figured out the generator, apparently where the positive lead goes through the plate it was shorting out. Also the previous owner removed the onan electric fuel pump for an aftermarket 12v fuel pump that had quit. I rewired all the positive and negative leads and now it works as it was designed. Now I am trying to figure out the lights. All the light lights (tail lights and front blinkers) come on steady when I turn the key on no matter what position the light switch is in or the blinker switch. Ran out of time so it will have to wait.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:50 am

The Onan pump is still available but not cheap. I asked on the Facebook page but I did not see an answer. Do you have the NH power drawer? This would be the gen set that slides out. If it is there is a place in California that specializes in the GMC motor homes and carries many of the parts for the power drawer gen set. There is also a manual for it on here in the tech documents section

Unread post by ColoradoDan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:57 am

I do have the Onan NH version generator. I found a replacement fuel pump for $110 but the way I have it set up now the starting of the generator triggers a 12v source(off the coil) that powers the aftermarket fuel pump. So right now I am going to go with that setup until I have fixed some other issues. If anyone has a pic of the stock electric fuel pump and where it gets its power source from that would be great. On a side note, getting under the rv I found out there is air ride on the rig! I want to install a compressor and pressure gauge so I can adjust on the fly like I have on my F-150. \nThanks,\nDan

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:24 am

Looking for a picture. The original pump has a filter built into it and is cylindrical in shape. The wiring on mine is screwy so I cant help there. My pump is fed off of a toggle.\nImage\nImage

Return to “Electrical”