converter not charging battery

Post here for living area electrical.
Author
Travco Model: 270

converter not charging battery

Unread post by Drtanner » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:19 pm

the power converter on our 1977 travco when plugged into shore power 50 amp service quietly hummed all night but didn't charge battery on our first trip to u.p. of michigan. the 110 circuts in the camper all worked but the whole of the 12volt system would just drain the batteries (two 6volts in series). they charged up nicely with a burrowed batt charger and we limeted our use of the 12volt stuff for the next couple of days and got through the trip. \nwhen i got back home i pulled the converter loose from the floor to begin to test out the unit. on the end of the unit there is a hinged cover which has under it some wiring diagrams and lo and behold a bank of fuses. the end fuse reads 40a batt. in its place was a buss fuse 30a that is blown. it is the size of a typical old car fuse but is made more like an old mobile home fuse with an interior tht can't be seen as in typical fuses. tested that fuse with an ohm meter and had no continuity so no good. \nso can any 40a car fuse go in that spot or is this a special fuse and should that cure the charging problem?

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: converter not charging battery

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:23 am

It might be a time delay fuse. there should be a rating and a fuse type number on one of the ends. This will let you know if it is a quick blow or time delay fuse.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:35 am

I would throw in a new "auto" type fuse and see what happens. Maybe blow out the inside with compressed air if it's very dirty, could be running hot. If it keeps blowing fuses then I would simply replace it with a more modern setup.

Travco Model: 270

Unread post by Drtanner » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 am

thanks for the info. the fuse in the converter is a abc 30a slow burn, there are mdl and mda slow burn fuses out there but can't find the 40a i need so i'm trying a 40a circut breaker that snaps into the fuse panel and see what that does, stay tuned in i'll let you know.\ndrt

Return to “Electrical”