Perplexing rear clearance light issues

Post here for living area electrical.
Author
Travco Model: 73 220

Perplexing rear clearance light issues

Unread post by rolleye » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:27 am

Very close to getting safety inspection completed on my 73 220. All lights were working .... then something changed and rear clearance rights no longer work. All other exterior lights including front clearance work fine. Some visual tracing has been done - under stop lights etc.

I saw this in response to another post about Chassis DC Fuse Panel Issues.
The clearance lights are powered through the headlight switch as part of the parking light circuit. I know that sounds a bit ambiguous but it's a start.The fuse would be under the dash area... Do your dash, front park and tail lights work?
Though cryptic I think I saw some of what you were saying under the stop lights. I don't understand the split front to rear tho. I am looking more closely at the schematic posted in the thread. Any thoughts ?

EDIT: An LED license plate lamp was connected shortly before the rears stopped working. We then unhooked it and no change. I did see a schematic, I think, that indicated the license plate light is connected to the stop lamp wiring. So that is probably worth investigating furher.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Perplexing rear clearance light issues

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:38 am

Check your grounds. The rear clearance light share a common ground wire to chassis. Not sure where it is grounded but with out it there will not be light

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 220

Unread post by Woodsman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:20 am

This is the wiring schematic.
Dodge Class A 1973 Wiring Diagram.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:31 am

on page 2 of the schematic it looks like the clearance lights pull from the license plate light which is fed by the tailights. So there would be a good sarting place. Did the wire for the clearance light come loose from the plate light.

Return to “Electrical”