Chassis DC Fuse Panel Question

Post here for living area electrical.
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Chassis DC Fuse Panel Question

Unread post by RobC » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:31 pm

Can anybody enlighten me as to the labeling on the DC Chassis panel:\n\nI have the schematic in the shop manual that shows the left side as\n\nRUN LPS. Does this mean Running/Clearance lamps?\nBATT ACC... ?\nINT LPS: Is this interior lighting up by the cockpit (two swivel lights above the seats?\nEXT LPS ?\n\nI am trying to find the fuse for the clearance lights front and back. manual says they run through the presence lamp relay. Is this the Rheostat wheel on the dash?\n\nAlso do the front and back clearance lamps run as one circuit from the board.\n\nAs you can tell I am diving into my electrical which has not been treated well by the PO.\n\nRobC

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Chassis DC Fuse Panel Question

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:31 pm

This schematic (one of many produced by Travco) might be of some use... \nDon't have the other end... but...if I find it, will post it. FWIW & HTH \nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:24 am

The clearance lights are powered through the headlight switch as part of the parking light circuit. I know that sounds a bit ambiguous but it's a start.\nThe fuse would be under the dash area... Do your dash, front park and tail lights work?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:26 pm

77: Yes all those lights work.\n\nBilly: thanks a million. that diagram immediately made the rats nest of wires in the back of my rig make sense.\n\nI am making good progress on my rig and I am currently riding high....\n\nWeather here in Seattle 60's and sunny. Makes it downright pleasant to work on my rig. Hang in there all my east coast Travco brethren. Hopefully this is the last multi-feet snow and below-zero event you will have to endure until spring.\n\nLast question: in addition to my chassis fuse panel (radio, blinkers, lights,etc) there is a second mini DC panel on the same mounting under the dash. It looks just like the house DC board with no labels and 6 fuse curcuits. I assume this is an auxiliary panel to run whatever needs running in terms of extra stuff that needs 12 volt power?\n\nRob

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:23 pm

hhhmmmm. Looked at my pics of my 76 and could not find an attatched fuse panel other than the original w/2 flasher units etc. My 74 has a ratty fuse panel on the outside near the radiator and has corrosive issuess. Believed this is the reason for relocating under the dash. Above the WEMAC inside the cabinet is a wooden case with fused items.. I found the front marker diagram and a fuse panel of sorts. HTH\nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks Billy: Upon closer inspection today it looks like an aux dc panel that runs off the chassis battery. Things like the step moter, air horn, whatever.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:24 am

curious... R U located in Wa or In?...and is your 76 a Mahal or Elite... Haven't seen any pics yet...\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Seattle area. \n\nMy 270 just says "270" on the side. Door upfront- not the Mahal.\n\nI successfully unf#@ked the wiring in the battery box last night. The PO had removed the deep cycle and had everything wired to the chassis battery. You name it- it was scabbed onto the positive terminal of the chassis battery\n\nI successfully separated the system as they were designed and my inverter is working.\n\nChassis electrical looks good but I am rewiring the dash panel and getting the new (home-made) instrument panel put in this week. Only thing left to diagnose is the back up lamps and brake warning light sending unit.. and the gas tank sending unit, and the tranny level indicator, and the turn signal indicator, and the......\n\nPROGRESS!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:33 pm

TNX...a bit far to be neighborly... FWIW... I would not, personally worry about chasing down the "backup" lights. I would go to replacing the white lenses which are kind of useless illuminating the rear area while backing up over 30 feet down the trail...... I believe they are 4" dia., with leds as used on the big rigs and make both sides dual red tail lights. With a dash mounted toggle, wired to a good set of back up lights mounted on, atop or under the back bumper would be more practical. The 76 dash when viewed from the back, the transmission level or temp gauge has no mechanicals or any indication of ever working out side of a silk screen printing on the lower part of the dash and viewed from the front.....FWIW & IMO\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:27 pm

The diagram below shows my wiring in the battery box.\n\nto recap. The PO pulled the deep cycle and was using the chassis start battery to run everything house system and chassis system.\n\nI separated the systems and connected the solenoid no. 6 wire to the chassis battery and the rig starts just fine.\n\nI added my deep cycle to start work on the house wiring and this is what was there previously and what I have wired up\n\nInverter black/blue goes to what looks like a 50 amp pair of circuit breakers mounted on the side of the batter box under the step. black wire from mounted breaker goes to the original on-off switch. Red from the DC panel and Red from House batter both go to the other side of the on-off-switch. The wiring is identical to what was there with the chassis batt but I have no power to my DC panel.\n\nI looked at the DC/chassis wiring diagram on this site and it does NOT match up with what I have.\n\nTake a look at the sketch and tell me if I am missing something. I am a sh#*ty electrician so any help would be great. \n\n77; I do not have a backflow preventer between the Inverter and the alternator but they are not connected in any way as of now.\n\nRobC\n\n
RobC's Whacky wiring sketch.pdf

Return to “Electrical”