Cab Heater Question

Post here for living area electrical.
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Cab Heater Question

Unread post by RobC » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:35 am

dug into my inoperable heater unit under the passenger dash.\n\nI have power to the fuse panel but the fan motor won't blow. Probably going to have to remove the unit for diagnosis maybe a new fan motor.\n\nThese things are a b#tch to work on. You can tell the exit air hoses were installed on the unit BEFORE it was installed as the hose clamp adjustment screw heads are facing forward (where you can't get to them)!!\n\nQuestion: \nThe dash controls have a "Highway Temp" knob that looks like it opens/closes a valve located in-line with the coolant lines to the heater that allows/blocks coolant from going to the heater unit.\n\nI assume that "highway Temp" means you are flying along the hiway with lots of air going through the radiator with no need for additional cooling vs stuck in traffic no air flow and higher temps. When open, coolant is allowed to flow to the heater which acts as a second radiator in overheating conditions. \n\nI used to regulate my old Subaru (motor fan cooled) temps by cranking the heat and the fan which basically made a second radiator in the cab roasting me and my passengers. As soon as I did it the temp gauge would come right down 20 or 30 degrees.\n\nMy valve is stuck but I wanted to figure out the system before I unhook all the lines and pull the whole unit out.\n\nRobC

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Cab Heater Question

Unread post by RobC » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:49 am

Couldn't see the bump topic button so am trying the backdoor to get my heater questions on the main page.\n\nSee original post above.\n\nRobC

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:36 pm

Mine has a city/highway temp but it's for the A/C.\nCan you post a pic of what you have ?
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:45 am

Here are a couple pictures of what looks like a gate valve in line with the heater supply line.\n\nthese shots are looking up from the passenger floor. Heater box is on the upper right, Red hose is supply or return line from radiator\n\nValve looks like it is half open. The corrugated rubber hose is the passenger heater vent house. This is the one with the hose clamp screw on the front where I can't get to it. \n\nI can grind it off but not much design thought went into these rigs.\n\nAny ideas as to why it is there and why they called it Highway Temp on the dash knob would be appreciated.\n\nCheers. RobC\n\n
IMG_1302.JPG
\n
IMG_1300.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:30 pm

Can you show me a picture of the controls on your dash ? On mine that valve is controlled by a push pull cable(kinda like a choke cable).

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Didn't have time for a pic but Yes Aces I have the same push pull type knob on the center console top right next to the motor control.\n\nI think I have no choice but to pull the whole unit and get it running and see what lurks behind the heater....\n\nThere is a black house that goes up toward the AC unit then back down through the floor to the engine compartment to nowhere. The AC Unit is not hooked up and the compressor is gone on the motor.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:36 pm

I know that when you pull the knobs out you get heat. There's an owners manual around here somewhere....

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:33 pm

If you need any pics of how the compressor mounts let me know. Most of these had Mark IV kits installed by people like my father. Mine has a Sanden compressor conversion from the original Tecumseh. If you are going to convert to R134a Vintage air sells everything you'll need as well as replacement vents for the dash.\nThe heater comes out pretty easily. I had my core redone at a radiator shop. Was around 100$ for a recore.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by RobC » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks.\n\n77: that makes sense as it seems the gate valve shuts off the supply line to the heater. I have been doing exterior work getting ready for paint before the rain comes here in the NW so interior has taken a back seat of late. \n\nRob

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:45 pm

RobC wrote:Thanks.\n\n77: that makes sense as it seems the gate valve shuts off the supply line to the heater. I have been doing exterior work getting ready for paint before the rain comes here in the NW so interior has taken a back seat of late. \n\nRob
\nBe sure to post up some paint pics!

Return to “Electrical”