A 220 in Canada

Welcome...
\nStop here first and tell about yourselves...
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 220

A 220 in Canada

Unread post by Woodsman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:52 pm

My wife and I had been contemplating an rv. We were thinking more along the lines of a small trailer and that is likely how it would have turned out but for a misplaced ad. In with the trailers (I was looking for an old rebuilder) was an ad for a 1973 Dodge Travco 220...$1,000. I knew from the picture it was fiberglass and the lines were amazing. I showed it to my wife and she said 'let's go see it". Turned out to be a repo from 12 years earlier and it had sat indoors since. The woman selling it was living a family health horror story, so we didn't push, just paid her the money. I'm guessing the 7 hour transport charge to get it back to our place is going burn another G.\n\nIt's a rear bunk model has air, generator, appliances. The seats have been changed in the front and the table...or whatever was there is gone. Has some corrosion issues near the driver and passenger areas, but it generally looks pretty good. The body looks really good for the year, a thorough wash should bring reality. It's a 413 engine and I have no idea of the condition. No shrapnel through the block so that's a good sign. We'll see if it starts, test compression, before we pull it for what it needs and a lap of gaskets. Not really concerned about the tranny, I think a 518 might be in it's future. \n\nWon't get it home until the end of the month, transport company is on holidays. I will start a thread and document the restoration/modification as we go. My wife and I are really excited about the project, can't wait to get at it.\n\nThanks to the Forum for helping us understand what we could own.\n\n
20180816_105238.smalljpg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: A 220 in Canada

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Congrats on the new to you 220 and welcome to the forum.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Congrats on the new to you 220 and welcome to the forum.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by datsit » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:02 am

Is that the one in the Barrie area ?? that had the trailer also ??

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Woodsman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:33 am

datsit wrote:Is that the one in the Barrie area ?? that had the trailer also ??
\n\nYes, Cookstown, trucking company is picking it up Friday. Seems fitting that the labour of love will start Labour day weekend.\n\nI tried to upload some video of the interior, can't get that to work, need a smarter key stroker at my end.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by datsit » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:37 am

What is your location ? I'm in Newmarket 69 270 BD (Big Daddy) are you a member of Dodge Travco Motorhome Lovers ??

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Woodsman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:29 am

datsit wrote:What is your location ? I'm in Newmarket 69 270 BD (Big Daddy) are you a member of Dodge Travco Motorhome Lovers ??
\n\nNE of Peterborough. My wife has joined the Facebook group, she's never been this revved up about anything mechanical. Mind you it's the interior "make over" (her term for gut and build what I want to decorate) that she is interested in. Just headed down to the barn to make some changes to accommodate the beast.

Travco Model: 1973 220

Unread post by rfamlyslyds » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Looks nice. \n\nI acquired the same exact year and model 1973 220 in June of this year. I'm in San Diego, California. Needs a bit of work but I am excited to see another rear bunk model with the same side door further back and the more upright back end vs rounder. I am traveling with my family for the year (not in the Travco) and then hope to get to work slowly gutting the inside as it is pretty dingy. Have dreams of making it into a modern-ish day vintage rig but as always money will be the issue. Hope to keep track of what you do with yours. Cheers\n\nJake

Travco Model:

Unread post by Weaver » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:41 am

How has your 220 been treating you so far, Woodsman? Seriously considering getting that model myself. And hello to the community from myself as well!
These electric log splitters are a great option people who do a lot of log splitting.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Woodsman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:02 pm

Weaver wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:41 am
How has your 220 been treating you so far, Woodsman? Seriously considering getting that model myself. And hello to the community from myself as well!
I got it gutted but didn't manage to get in in my building before the snow came, the big door doesn't have a very good approach when its slippery. So nothing will happen for another month at least, likely longer. Probably better that it has been outside as it has given me time to do a lot more research on the pros/cons of chassis system modifications. The members here have been helpful (and annoying LOL) by replacing some of my modification dreams with reality in the old fuel economy verses money spent to better it battle. I started a rebuild thread which I will update soon. http://www.travcoforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1314

Return to “New Members Introductions”