Inherited a 74 travco 220

Welcome...
\nStop here first and tell about yourselves...
Author
Travco Model: 960 220

Inherited a 74 travco 220

Unread post by Warbike39 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:55 am

Hello to all! I inherited a Dodge Travco 220 from a friend last week, he knew I always found it fascinating and loved to hear the tales of he and his wife travelling Mexico and the U.S, so he decided it would go to me.\nIt is in overall decent shape and has been in the Arizona Desert for many years.\nThe interior is quite worn with dinette and passenger seat long gone, replaced with a desk for his ham radio gear etc. It had not run in quite a few years but he had installed a new 440 engine in it shortly before parking it and he was kind enough to unhook and drain the fuel tank...a few days ago I climbed under it and replaced the fuel lines, serviced the fuel pump and installed fresh gas in the tank. The battery was still fully charged and after a light poof of starter fluid she fired right up and idles Great\nHe left me all the factory manuals and even the original sales brochure with original owners name and where it was sold as new in Illinois.\nI am now trying to decide a future for the old girl, I travel alot around the country and would love to do it in the travco but the fuel mileage from that 440 would break a guy....i saw where a guy installed a 12 valve cummins diesel from a dodge truck with the Allison tranny, now that sounds interesting.\nI am excited to save her though, her refrigerator is still icy cold as well as her original roof top a.c. unit.\nDave

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Inherited a 74 travco 220

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:30 am

Welcome to the forum.\n8 to 10 mpg out of the 440 would probably be close to the norm. \nThe cummins would probably get 15 mpg. as that seem to be what I have heard. \nEnjoy it.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1973 m375/270

Unread post by gojoe » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:34 am

Post a picture when you can and consider keeping the 440 and driving it alot! (Great engine) Much quieter than a B series (especially a 12v).

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

If the 440 is in good condition then just drive it like that for awhile. You can buy a lot of gas for the cost of a 6BT swap.

Return to “New Members Introductions”