Caught the TRAVCO bug

Welcome...
\nStop here first and tell about yourselves...
Author
Travco Model: Nothing yet

Caught the TRAVCO bug

Unread post by L_S » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:03 pm

Just finished a ski vacation with my brother in his truck-camper. We saw a really cool looking RV at one of the mountains we skied ( with an operating wood stove, vented out the roof ), I started searching on google for "1960s motorhome" and found out it looks just like a TRAVCO. I didn't talk to the guy , but his said DODGE above the grill.\n\nAnyway, I have a camper-van right now and I think I would like my next project to be a Travco.\n\nI guess I will make some other threads to help me decide what year/model I might want to buy. I envision some suspension lift, some taller all-terrain tires, and a Cummins swap ( saw one on youtube) with the goal of eventually 4x4ing it. Kind of a dirt-bike/lake/ski/beach adventure machine.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Re: Caught the TRAVCO bug

Unread post by KB2CRK » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:17 am

Welcome to the madness that is Travco. 4x4 has been done along with diesel conversions. William Shatner had a custom ordered 4x4 and there were a few others over the years. The front axle is a solid piece on leaf springs and plenty of room for a transfer case and front driveshaft. The shift linkage would be the fun part to figure out.

Travco Model:

Re: Caught the TRAVCO bug

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 am

"Dodge Motor Home" was the name before they were known as Travco's. A smaller 210 would be a great 4x4 candidate and give you the look of the larger 1968 model year and older 270's. They are out there but not as common.

Return to “New Members Introductions”