Travco Newby in Wyoming

Welcome...
\nStop here first and tell about yourselves...
Author
Travco Model: 1977 320

Travco Newby in Wyoming

Unread post by rascott » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:13 pm

I've bought a 1977 Travco RV but I haven't picked it up yet, that happens this Friday. Our winters last longer here than in most of the country...we had snow yesterday for example so going to bring this home has been delayed for over two weeks. Of all the photos I've looked at on this and other websites, I am unable to identify the model of the one i bought "over the interweb" sight unseen so to speak. Of course, there were photos posted with the ad and I've had good conversations with the current owner but I have not seen it to "touch". The guy actually bought two of these, this one first with the intention of swapping in a Cummins and then found another one he liked better so he put this one on the market. He's an old guy like me and is holding it without any money down. Seems like a very nice and honest man. \n\nI thought it must be a 320 guessing the length in the photos but now I think it is longer than a 320. I guess I won't know until I actually get the VIN...and a tape measure. The interior layout is unlike any photos I've seen, and on one website where several brochures were posted none of the brochures were even close to what I'm buying. Mine has a sofa behind the drivers seat and a fold up table behind the passenger seat (missing any chairs). Kitchen area is next with the stove/sink on drivers side and double door fridge opposite. Next comes twin beds on either side followed by a rear bath with tub/shower on the drivers side and closet on the passenger side. I'll try to post some pics when I get it home (if it makes the 350 mile trip ;)). I've seen a reference to possible 35 and even 40 foot models. Does anyone know if they really were manufactured? Does anyone know, based on my description of the layout, what model i may have?\n\nI'm 65 and bought this with the idea of rehabbing it to make it road worthy and functionally reliable so my wife and I can do a little traveling after we eventually semi-retire. My only other RV was a 1976 Argosy, which I loved, but it became impractical to store so I sold it. The layout on it was similar and the skin was riveted aluminum in stead of fiberglass so it was, like the Travco, as close to "leak proof" as you can get. From what I've been able to read about these units they are constructed even better than the Argosy/Airstream units. As you may have guessed, I prefer to revive older vehicles. I hate our disposable culture. \nCheers - Ray

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: dodge mahal,1970

Re: Travco Newby in Wyoming

Unread post by raysimmons » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:35 am

lots of luck on the travco. I don't think there was anything bigger than a 32 footer with the travco name. not sure if fortravel used that name on their bigger rigs but if so I think those were all diesels. send some pics to the site and keep us posted...

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:46 am

Welcome to the forum and the madness that is Travco

Unread post by rascott » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks for the welcome and comments. I'll post some pics when I get it home.

Unread post by rascott » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 am

Well, I'm the proud owner of a Travco 290 according to the badge. For a 40 year old RV it's in decent shape and all systems seem to be functional. It made the 350 mile trip home without incident, but it definitely needs some maintenance and elbow grease. The steering will be first on my list. It was like herding a turtle with a stick. I'll eventually get some pics posted.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: dodge mahal,1970

Unread post by raysimmons » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 am

glad all went well ! lots of steering component's on there to check out. easiest fix would be the drag link. they seem to go at about the 75k mark. worse part would be king pins. it's all fixable though. I try to grease mine every 3k miles and there seem to be dozens of fittings on it.

Unread post by rascott » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:04 am

Thanks for the tip on checking the steering issue. The mileage turned over 78,000 on the way home so that might be the culprit. I sure won't be wondering what to do with my spare time now. I also need to address a few small spots of fiberglass/gelcoat repair. The vinyl ceiling on the interior is sagging everywhere and the fan for the dash AC isn't working. I sure hope I can find an owners manual online somewhere. It does have the Onan NH genset and I downloaded that pdf for that. If you posted that up, thanks again. -Ray

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:04 pm

The pot joint in the column is something to check too. I replaced the pot joint with a borgeson joint and put a new steering box in due to a leak. The biggest improvement in handling came with the addition of a steer-safe set up. http://www.steersafe.com/ not cheap but worth every penny.

Unread post by rascott » Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 am

Hey, more good advice from an experienced owner. Thank you. :)

Return to “New Members Introductions”