Looking for a screen door for my 1972 Travco

Post up here any parts you need or are looking for. Also if you know where something is that someone needs feel free to reply to that persons post.Also if you are looking for a Travco..
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: Looking for a screen door for my 1972 Travco

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:27 am

Hi... Decided to go and check out my screen door from my 76 Mahal... Nothing special and only the small rubber wheel/roller that keeps the screen shut was attatched. It DOES have 3 holes near the top and 3 more near the bottom... Cannot see the logic from the makers point that would require them to make a special door frame for just a "screen door". Cheaper to include, due to the design, 2 cheap offset hinge plates rather than at a point of sale or later customer upgrade and having to switch a frame out or is a mandated switch just to have a insect free camper. Just cannot see ripping a door and frame out and replacing it with another door frame JUST for a scrren door. I dont have one handy at the moment but do not feel a "lip" is mandated to have a insect free camper...\nIMOO (Subject to rebuttal) No... mine is not for sale..saving it for ONE MORE...Too logical for corporate NOT to...\nBBB PS: \nFeel that due to the simple design, a copy can almost be duplicated easily... just a flat rectangular aluminum bordered screen. Slightly bowed to conform to radii of camper.\nAny one want photo's of mine w/dims?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1972 Mahal

Unread post by Travco72 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks for the offer. I would appreciate photos which include the attachment to the hinges and at the door handle as well as some overall dimensions. I am not sure I could find someone to fabricate one (or justify the cost) but I may be able to find something close from another brand and modify it.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Just grabbed my 5th rv tonite and did check the screen door frame option. Looks like enough clearance to me without having to acquire a optional door frame... Will soon see how mine goes in at all. Will post pics and dims. soon \nBBB\nUpdated:09/30/14: Did notice the hinges are held in place by one central screw on each hinge. \n Removing the screw allows the hinge to be free for mounting a screen door.\n BTW, the screen door bolts FLAT to the surface of 2, Z or L shaped hinges... w/3 screws \n at top and 3 screws at the bottom located by the pre-drilled holes in the hinges...\n\n Screen Door Dims:\n OAL 27 3/16" wide\n OAL 72 1/2" tall (Inside curve)\n 1/2" thick\n 1 1/4" wide side framing\n OAL 73" tall (Outside curve)\nHTH\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Finally got around to it BUT... I could not get up high enough for a decent OAL shot... Heres what I have...\nPart one of two... 5 panel/picture limit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi... Here is part two of two... screen photos... HTH..\nIf need be, I can take more at a specific point of screen..\nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1972 Mahal

Unread post by Travco72 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:07 pm

That screen door is a work of art... a thing of beauty... I am so jealous :)\n\nThe pictures are excellent and much appreciated. Hopefully they will help in my search for something similar to modify or fabricate.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:36 am

Looking closely... the screen door is really genaric, especially if you scrutenize the middle where access to the main door is. 1 1/2 flat hollow stock x 1/2 thickness is the only requirement I see as necessary. The critical step is the "arc" or bend to fit the style of the Travco curve. As measured the curve is a 1/2" OAL bend. Once completed as a build your own or purchase a "straight" door having similar specs.\nI believe the unit set on a well placed 1/2 or 3/4 inch plastic pvc pipe, would allow one to "bend" a flat door to conform without buckling the frame..The dims posted are as exact as my MIC (Made in China) tape would allow...that tiny rubber wheel is the only thing that keeps the door closed..nothing hi-tech there.. (Winter project?) IMO..BBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:19 pm

A TRAVCO screen door is in the offering. \nJust found this item and the price, I think, is for a curved door AND a screen door. \nHere is the ad. This notice posted on 11/16/14.\nHTH someone\nhttp://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/4703204948.html\nBBB

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:49 pm

I have been watching that item for a while now. I was even in Phoenix recently when on my way up to Vegas. I thought about grabbing it but I didn't have a way to carry it as I was on a motorcycle.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Curious...If these curved screen doors indicatiing they are made just for a Travco...\nAnd if one was on a crusade to acquire one, wouldnt making an affordable deal \nbe worth the effort and have it shipped by any cost savings means available?.\nIt would be a one time purchase...IMO\nBBB

Return to “Want to Buy”