Front slide window removal.

Author
Travco Model: 1976 270 Rear Bath

Front slide window removal.

Unread post by tcharters » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:40 pm

One thing we have been trying to figure out, ( and you know why if you have one...) Is how to remove the slide window in the driver and passenger side of the cab. It opens barely enough to get an arm out, but if we could simply remove the window while driving, we could hang an elbow, or even poke your head out to aid in backing up. Does anyone know how to remove the slide windows? Or is it more trouble than it is worth??? Thanks in advance!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1976 270

Re: Front slide window removal.

Unread post by RobC » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:25 pm

As far as I can tell they do not readily come out. Since it is a separate piece I always thought it would be cool to have a airplane type window that comes in then slides out of the way toward the back. Plenty of room for the mechanism.\n\nI have to reset my windshield with new gasket and new lock ring so I have been trying to figure out a better window situation also.\n\nRob\n\nThinking a plane window can't be cheap tho.....\n\nAnybody have pictures of the body area without the windshield in place?

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:35 am

RobC wrote:Anybody have pictures of the body area without the windshield in place?
\n\nI have these old photos off the internet... not sure if they will help you though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:28 pm

yeah they were not a great design. No they do not come out except to remove the entire assembly, frame and all.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:44 am

hhmm... Would it not be more feasible that rather than resetting the windshields just to access the sliding side driver and passenger windows.. to just bust out just the glass and replace it with smoked or clear plastic that would fit in the same slots and be a bit smaller for ease of in/out. Maybe a small lucite handle or what ever to grip the sliding piece for removal and open and closing? Thickness would be determined by fit-ability...Curious as to what lengths a person is willing to go on the Travco side window situation... According to what I was able to find out some years ago.. The glass used in the Travcos was "A3" thickness and is no longer available. Later day glass is "A2" designation...is thinner and would be a loose fit in the framses... FWIW / IMO Time for a FLAT GLASS Conversion yet?\nBBB

Return to “Glass and Gaskets”