Travco 270 windshields falling out ???

Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Travco 270 windshields falling out ???

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Cut the old gasket,don't try and save it. The glass should come out pretty easily. I didn't cut mine but they were falling out.\nJust remove the lockring and cut the lip off the outside .
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1966 Model 270

Unread post by Fellchase » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:40 pm

I have similar problems with both if my 270's\nI have a 66 and a 68\nOne we used the Foretravel strip and the other one we bought our own (not as wide)..\nAnyway drivers side top and bottom of glass pops out ...Both coaches. \nTwo different coaches and two different weather strips. \nI don't get it. I wonder if maybe the uprights are supposed to be something different. \nI'm going to try that on next w/s job. \nThe glass was too hard to get in...like maybe the system is TOO Tight and when coach is driven glass pushes out \nIdeas?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Fellchase » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:49 pm

I have similar problems with both if my 270's\nI have a 66 and a 68\nOne we used the Foretravel strip and the other one we bought our own (not as wide)..\nAnyway drivers side top and bottom of glass pops out ...Both coaches. \nTwo different coaches and two different weather strips. \nI don't get it. I wonder if maybe the uprights are supposed to be something different. \nI'm going to try that on next w/s job. \nThe glass was too hard to get in...like maybe the system is TOO Tight and when coach is driven glass pushes out \nIdeas?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:26 am

is it time yet??? The more I read here,rs the more I think it's almost flat glass conversion time?\nI have "old" articles where the Travco and other curved rv's had this done... Looked good to me....\nOffered this NFO at an earlier time... but war more or less blown off...\nI myself have a spare set of windshields so not as pushed as others, \nbut would gladly get rid of those in exchange for flat... IMO...FWIW...\nBTW.. flat glass was $150.00 installed etc. for each side on my 1990 basement model some\nyears ago... Offed due to roof rot...which travcos do not...\nBBB

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 1972270 commerical travler

Unread post by 72twodoor270 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:22 pm

BBB- A guy down the road had a 1974ish Dodge SportsCoach in his front yard for sale a few months back. It had a 440 in it and used a lot of Travco type of parts.\n\nThe mirrors, side slider windows, interior parts... all like our Travco's. \n\nIf someone was to fiberglass "A" pillars into a Travco is this what it would kinda look like?\n\nHmmmm....
74 SportsCoach.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:19 am

sort of... enclosed are two pic that are a bit more explicit..The one, which will have to be zoomed in on, was acquired over 12 years ago.. I have searched the internet trying to find the people and get more explicit instructions and photos on how it was done more closely...No such luck and FWIW that converted unit has never showed up since the completion anywhere I am aware of and no one else known has ever seen or mentioned the travco with the flat windshield conversion.. I only included the photos and not the typed description of what they did... There pics are the only and best I have on this subject. Have a few other flat conversions pics but those are not travcos.. Enjoy the look and work that was done and how a travco looks with the superior flat glass conversion...This was not painted but left to show the glass work... Hope this helps a situation that is getting tighter....\nBBB 12/30/15
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Fellchase » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:18 am

I have used the Foretravel and also the w/s that is 1/4 inch more narrow. The narrow piece matches the original more closely on a 66. It also goes in easier. It's also requires no cutting. I have two coaches one has the Foretravel gasket and one has the narrow gasket. Glass pushes out on both of them. I wonder if maybe the uprights were supposed to be different profile on the w/s.... enjoy. CAF

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Fellchase » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:58 am

I ha ve two coaches. On the 68 we used the ForeTravel gasket yes it is wider and a bear to install. When we did the 66 we ordered gasket CR Laurence exact match to original. It goes in easier. BUT...windshields pop out on both coaches. Two different Travcos two different gasket systems. Both of them move forward over time...it starts at top edge of glass on drivers side. You can see daylight where glass curves there. Also on passenger side of 66 the glass moved forward now you can see daylight at the rear edge of passenger side. Don't know but it's frustrating. We marked glass vs fiberglass before we took them out the glass was in the same place it was original when we finished the w/s job. I think if you drive them coach body is bending and twisting . Oh well. It lasted ten years I guess it's time to do it again.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:33 am

sure would like to see the flat conversion done somewhere out there... \nand the procedure well documented... \nFWIW... the windshields on my particular (1974) are not loose or\ncoming loose or have any known gap and do not leak..yet. \nHowever...I am still championing flat conversions...I still would off these \nexpensive factory pieces in a feasible heartbeat. (also have 2 spare windshields)\nThese Travco's need help! Some design flaws take years to manifest themselves..\nThe falling out and ill fitting windshield syndrome appears to be one of them... \nand the poorly designed, and hilariously approved brakes by the DOT \nis a good example of another obvious flaw....\nI would take my unit to that person and purchase their services to take \nmy good glass out (both) and replace them with a flat conversion....\nusing age as an excuse, I personally don't have the wherewithal to do the\nconversion myself...(75) IMO\nBBB

Return to “Glass and Gaskets”