Roof seam leaks

Author
Travco Model: 27

Roof seam leaks

Unread post by chevy43 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:48 am

I need to seal the roof seam to stop the water getting in. \n\nI have thought about fiber glassing the two sides together. \n\nWhat are some other ways of sealing it without smearing goo all over the seam and gasket?

Travco Model:

Re: Roof seam leaks

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:46 am

I have used a product called "Lexel" on my Travco with great success. Here is a link.\nhttp://www.lowes.com/pd_455441-13518-13010_0__ ... .34&rpp=32

Unread post by chevy43 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:24 am

Did you leave the old dried up trim molding in the gap or take it out?\n\nThanks,\n\nT.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:19 pm

I removed the old stuff. It is a little more time consuming but I felt better about it.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:56 pm

Welcome Chevy43\n\nI use Dicor self leveling Latex sealer on roof stuff. Any RV place will have it. It should not leak at the seam though. The seam is bonded from the factory. Are you sure it's the seam ?I have owned 7 Travcos and some in pretty bad shape and never seen the seam leak. Alot of time the roof leaks are from the following things:\nA/C unit(s)\nRoof Vent\nFresh air vents for plumbing\nClearance lights\nAntenna\nMounts for Pod(if so optioned)\nWhere about is your leak ?\n\nAlso important. When parking a Travco in the rain...Make sure it is level. water will leak in through the window channels as well as the a/c unit.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Unread post by chevy43 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm not totally sure. The seam didn't look good last I looked at it.\n\nI would think the whole thing would have been better had it just been glassed together there.\n\nI know it leaks around the antenna and rear window.\n\nIt might leak around the air conditioner and vent. The windshield gaskets are all shrunk too.\n\nI need to get it stopped or it is going to wreck my Travco.\n\nThe ceiling panels are already sagging and the vinyl is hanging down. the matrass is getting wet in the back.\n\nI'd like to save this thing but I have to win this leak battle and I don't have covered parking for it....

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:03 am

You have to have someone go around with a garden hose on the outside and the. You stay on the inside and look for leaks.\nIf that doesnt work pressurize the inside of the rv.Call around to a few RV places near you and see if you can find one that does this service. Its usually around 150$. You could do it yourself if you have a powerful enough blower like one that Servpro would use or heck maybe even. Backpack mIght work. I would start by sealing up all the things you know. Get some dicor or similar and clean all the roof vents and reseal. Antenna too. The a/c is a little more work. That requires lift it up but I would start with the easy stuff. The windshield gasket is still available from Foretravel but its a Pain in the ass to get ahold of the right parts guy. The sideand rear window gaskets can usually be sealed up with a good marine Rtv sealer. If the gaskets are beyond repair then a company called trimlok make a similar gasket in rolls of 100 ft. They really suck to do. The best way to replace the roof panels inside is use plastic bathroom panel. They sell it at home depot and lowes . Its cheap, easy to work with and if you do get another leak it will be unaffected.\nYou could also buy a Tyvek RV cover and cover the Travco when you are not using it. That is a good idea anyway. They are light and pretty easy to put on just be careful of it hanging up on anything. They rip real easy...:(

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:51 pm

I went through this to a lesser extent. I got out my ladder and started cleaning an sealing every thing on the roof. I then ran a bead of Lexel around all of the window seals too.\nMy 2 big side windows will still leak water down the wall in a heavy rain because the channel fills up and then overflow. The factory seals are pretty much gone and I am not sure what to do about that. I may drill small holes on the outside of the channels someday.

Unread post by chevy43 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Great Idea about pressurizing and looking for leaks from the outside!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:40 pm

There should be holes in the channels already although most people(myself included) drill them larger or do an extra. The bes thing to do is change out the windows with newer screw in type ones. These windows have and always will leak. My father bought his 220 in 1970 new and they leaked in heavy rain.

Return to “Body, Paint Gelcoat specific”