Contoured Ladder

Author
Travco Model: 1973 - 270

Contoured Ladder

Unread post by padave29 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Well, it looks like the original contoured ladders are scarcer than hens' teeth! Anyone have any suggestions about fabricating them? Before anyone mentions it, I have seen the "one ladder fits all" with the joint in the middle - NOT impressed. So? Anyone know anyone who fabricates these or have any experience and care to share?

Travco Model:

Re: Contoured Ladder

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:22 pm

I looked for one for awhile and finally gave up... :? \nI have since removed the spare tire and mount and now I really like the "clean" look back there.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:43 am

outside of making more holes in the body... If you dont have a wind catching container on the roof. why go thru the trouble for a non-useful item. Outside of dated looks, it's no where needed..and not really useful for repairing marker lights... Yes the back does look cleaner.. maybe to tie a 10 speedd to the ladder? a carrier is better..IMO\nBBB\nPS: A screen door is way more functional and useful...than a ladder...

Tom
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by Tom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:50 am

I have the OEM ladder and it is actually pretty complex. I am sure they had factory jigs and fixtures for making the manufacturing easier but it would be a bugger for your small town fab shop. I use mine regularly to get up on the roof to access stuff for repairs (like leaks up the center) and occasionally wiping down the solar panels. \n\nIf you don't have a ladder on the rig then you probably need to figure out how to carry one around if you have any kind of storage compartments or components on the roof. I found that the curvature of the roof line on the Travco in general makes it nearly impossible to get on and off the roof any other way but using the fully installed ladder. If you just lean a regular ladder up on the side then it can mess up your paint and or fiberglass, and if you set an A frame stepladder up beside the motorhome, it's not stable enough at the top to get on and off the roof safely without being on a steeply sloped and potentially slippery part right as you get on and off the ladder. About the only thing that can work is a curved ladder that goes up the rear like the OEM one does. \n\nIf you have the time for it, the yeah, I suggest just building the custom steel ladder at the rear and having it powder coated for long life, but it would be strictly a hobby shop job and cost prohibitive at full regular professional shop rates.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Some Travcos had foldout steps but they usually pulled out after awhile and also allowed water to leak in around the bolts. My original 220 had them.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “Body, Paint Gelcoat specific”