Awning Mounting

Author
Travco Model: 1969 Mahal

Awning Mounting

Unread post by turbinebronze » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:58 am

How (or better yet where) do you mount the awning to the roof? Do you just screw the canvas metal channel to the fiberglass body? And how do you mount the upper arm mounts? Do you find the metal frame work of the body and screw into it? Do you have to open up the wall in the interior to make a reinforcement for the upper arm mounts? \n I have a '69 Mahal and the door is closer to the middle of the unit. I want to mount the awning above the door, from the end of the pass side front glass, back to the front edge of the gen door opening (appx. 18 feet).\n She is in storage now...I'm just trying to get a game plan in my head for this project. I have a straight arm awning that I'm thinking about cutting, bending, and re-welding to match the contour of the body, but I would like to have mounting points in mind before cutting arms of the awning...

Travco Model:

Re: Awning Mounting

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:16 am

Mine seems to be attached to the fiberglass body. Never messed with it before but I know there's no plates on the inside. Notice the shape of the vertical support bars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:31 pm

Mine is the same as 77's. The arm mounts are screwed to the glass. I know this from having one pull off on our first trip. Repaired it by moving the mount slightly to the side and and putting the screws back in. That was almost two years ago.

Unread post by turbinebronze » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:13 pm

That's what I needed to know. I didn't want to open up an inside wall to install a reinforcement plate, but I wasn't sure how strong the 'glass was.\n I have noticed the "bend" in the arms. I was going to try and duplicate that by cutting the square tubing, bending, and welding the cuts shut.\n Thanks for the info!

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by diskman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:53 pm

My 1975 270s HAD an awning at some point. The lower arm mounts are the only things left. But, they are simply screwed into the fiberglass near the wheel wells and have what looks like OAK wood blocks that they are bolted to behind the 'glass.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:10 pm

I had a few with awnings and they all screwed right into the glass although I have also seen them pull out.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Unread post by turbinebronze » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:41 am

Well, this is what I thought, but I was hoping there was a better, more solid way of mounting. (Some trick I haven't seen yet!) I have to mount it high, 'cause there is a stove vent above the door opening...but there is a kitchen sink vent I have to mount below...\n Thanks for all the replies!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:15 am

Image\nImage\nA couple pics with the awning out. Ours is high as it is over the door. We have a roller on the top of the door to keep it from dragging on the awning.

Unread post by turbinebronze » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks for the pics. I figured I 'd need a roller on the door. It looks like (from your interior photos) that I might be able to find a metal "stud" between the dinette window and the pass front window for the awning legs to bolt into. Might get lucky with a house stud finder to see thru the wall.\n (PS.. I like the slant six Dodge truck you have. I have an aluminum block slant six in my '67 cuda) :D

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by KB2CRK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:00 pm

I see you went through my Photobucket photos..... The truck is an 86 D150 and my Daily Driver. it only has 416,000 miles on it. Right now it is stuck in mud in my back yard. Tries to use one of my Subarus as an anchor point to pull it out with a chain hoist but the car just slid sideways in the mud. Almost stuck the AWD up there too.

Return to “Body, Paint Gelcoat specific”