1979 AVCO GTC 3200 Rear Bath

Travco Vans, Superior Motorhomes...basically anything Dodge based.
Author
Travco Model: 1979 AVCO GTC 32'

1979 AVCO GTC 3200 Rear Bath

Unread post by tmbinder » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Here are some photos of my '79 AVCO 32' motorcoach. It was sitting for about 8 years in a pole barn, and prior to that I believe it was well cared for. It is mostly original, and as you can see somewhat worn (driver and passenger seat, for example) but it is cleaning up very nicely. It is powered by a Cummins diesel run through an Allison transmission to a Rockwell rear, so it is not original in that respect. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it: should I just clean it up, sort everything out mechanically and leave it original, or should I "update" it with new carpet, upholstery, maybe paint the woodwork? In the end I am going to move it on to a new owner fairly soon, but I want to get it cleaned up and sorted out first, at a minimum. I wish I could get a better handle on the market for a coach like this, but there just doesn't seem to be much information about them, and it is almost impossible to find one for sale or recently sold. So far I have replaced all of the tires, and the batteries, and begun to test the appliances and systems. The generator is working, and so are the air conditioners. No propane onboard yet so I haven't tested the furnace or the hot water heater. The water system is working fine but has a few leaks at a couple of connections so they need to be addressed.\n\nAny thoughts about this coach and what I should do with it would be greatly appreciated, although I understand that most people on this forum are Travco devotees. :) \n\nThanks!\n\nTom Binder\nReading, PA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 1979 AVCO GTC 3200 Rear Bath

Unread post by tmbinder » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:38 pm

Yesterday I delivered the AVCO to our diesel truck mechanic to have it checked out generally and to have the state (PA) inspection performed. As far as I know it hasn't been serviced during the past 8 years while sitting, so I'm anxious to find out what sort of condition it is in from his perspective. I removed the built-in ice maker (made by the Instamatic Division of LaSalle Deitch Co. according to the User's Guide that came with the coach) but I believe it is the same as the Uline models many coaches had in them around that time. I was told by the previous owner that it never worked, so I began doing some testing and determined that the thermostat was defective, so I'm looking for a part to repair it. I like all the space that removing the ice maker cabinet provides across from the sofa. It would actually allow a queen-size fold-out sofa bed to be installed where the original jackknife sofa was located, which brings me to my original question/problem: should I improve/modernize this unusual, rare coach or should I leave it in original condition? Any thoughts? Come on, folks, I need some help here!

Unread post by tmbinder » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:54 am

so I'm just running this thread all by myself, but that's okay. :D I just spoke with the service manager at Garden Spot Frame and Alignment where the AVCO is being serviced and inspected. Aside from the expected things (dirty, old coolant, fuel filter and brake fluid) it turns out I have some issues with the front brakes. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, I'm not sure yet) they are not the stock brakes that were on the M600 chassis, but rather disc brakes added when the diesel conversion was done and the axles were changed out due to the added weight. The one caliper has been hanging up and the rotor is warped so they need to be replaced/repaired. They are going to look for parts today.\n\nAlso, I found a thermostat for the ice maker on eBay, and it is on it's way. Once that is installed I'll be able to test the ice maker components themselves to see if anything else needs to be repaired or replaced.\n\nAs always, this "project" is going to more expensive and involved than I anticipated, but what's new? It has turned into a labor of love for an older motorhome that needs TLC. I'll keep you posted....

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1972 travco

Unread post by dirtydeno » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:19 pm

Pretty cool rig! I like that rear bathroom.

Unread post by tmbinder » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Thanks DD. Here's a photo from the sales brochure that shows the two floor plan options for 1979 - rear bath and side bath [Sorry...I haven't figured out how to get the photos oriented properly, so it is sideways]\n\n
AVCO Floor Plans.JPG
\n\nI like the rear bath also but what you give up is a full-sized bedroom. I didn't have a choice; this coach sort of fell into my lap (it was for sale locally at a fair price so I grabbed it because it is so unusual) and I honestly cannot find another one for sale anywhere in the U.S. right now. When I came across this motorhome I was actually chasing a 1968 Travco 270 for sale nearby but it was too far gone for me so I passed it up. How do you like your 1972 Travco? What model is it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by dirtydeno » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:32 pm

I have a 270, its been a big project so far and i have not used it yet. working on the airconditioner this weekend so i can work on the inside in this 115 degree heat.\n\n
tmbinder wrote:Thanks DD. Here's a photo from the sales brochure that shows the two floor plan options for 1979 - rear bath and side bath [Sorry...I haven't figured out how to get the photos oriented properly, so it is sideways]\n\n
AVCO Floor Plans.JPG
\n\nI like the rear bath also but what you give up is a full-sized bedroom. I didn't have a choice; this coach sort of fell into my lap (it was for sale locally at a fair price so I grabbed it because it is so unusual) and I honestly cannot find another one for sale anywhere in the U.S. right now. When I came across this motorhome I was actually chasing a 1968 Travco 270 for sale nearby but it was too far gone for me so I passed it up. How do you like your 1972 Travco? What model is it?

Unread post by tmbinder » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:02 pm

Right. Without air conditioning it is impossible to be comfortable, I'm sure. We were in Arizona this past winter and the weather was beautiful, but summer heat sounds almost unbearable. Working on these things is surely a labor of love. I hope you get to use it soon! What is wrong with the air conditioner? Do you know, or are you still trying o figure it out?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by dirtydeno » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:08 am

The bearings in my blower motor were bad. I replaced it but now it does not cool very well. Going to get it recharged this week. Im going to make a post on it because it was hard to find info on a 1970s coleman mach 2 unit.\n\n
tmbinder wrote:Right. Without air conditioning it is impossible to be comfortable, I'm sure. We were in Arizona this past winter and the weather was beautiful, but summer heat sounds almost unbearable. Working on these things is surely a labor of love. I hope you get to use it soon! What is wrong with the air conditioner? Do you know, or are you still trying o figure it out?

Unread post by tmbinder » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Right, sometimes information is difficult to find. I believe the units on my AVCO are Coleman Mach 3, but I can't check because the coach is at the diesel mechanic right now along with all the documentation. I suppose you don't have the manual for the unit. And maybe it's just too hot in Arizona right now! I will look for your post and see if there is anything I can offer to help.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:53 pm

A 1979 Motor home would have had disc brakes... M600 chassis had disc's.\nI wouldn't worry too much about trying to keep the coach "original". The diesel conversion is a major plus! I saw an AVCO or Barth for sale recently ... may have been on Austin craigslist... I'll look around.

Return to “All Other Dodge related Motorhomes”