Have Avco will Travel

Travco Vans, Superior Motorhomes...basically anything Dodge based.
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Have Avco will Travel

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Did you try Summit racing for a universal shifter cable ? They might have something.\nCheck the body on the TQ for cracks. They have been known to split open and spill fuel.\nThe body is a phenolic plastic or something like that.\nDid you check Onanparts.com ?\nI have found stuff on Ebay too.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: Avco actually

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Acesneights wrote:Did you try Summit racing for a universal shifter cable ? They might have something.\nCheck the body on the TQ for cracks. They have been known to split open and spill fuel.\nThe body is a phenolic plastic or something like that.\nDid you check Onanparts.com ?\nI have found stuff on Ebay too.
\n\n"Universal" cables won't work for this application. \nNeed the specific correct cable for this and that is what I ordered. \nNavistar had an exact replacement but they quit making them some time within the last couple years.\nThere are a few RV parts dealers that "horded" these cables and are asking $250 each. Better off having a custom cable made. All these cables will eventually fail. If your has not yet it is just a matter of time. \nThermoquad is already built and installed.\nThe plastic body was fine. What usually causes the cracks is torquing the screws down to tight. The spec is just a few inch-lbs. So that translates into just snugging the machine screws in. When the gasket swell on first use it will be ok. For some reason people want to crank the screws down as tight as possible, that will crack the screw bosses in the bowl assy. \nIt works fine and it runs nice. The only issue I had was the style of accelerator pump was the old type with a leather diaphragm. It was non-serviceable so I had to order the new type pump piston. \nThermostatic choke for the genny is installed and working fine. At first I installed the spring backwards so it started nice and after a bit started to choke itself out. :oops:\n\nIt rained off and on all day today so I could not get any mechanical work done. \nMy son and I worked on clearing more junk out of the interior and cleaning it up inside. \nI bet I have unloaded at least 1000 lbs of junk from this thing and I have yet to go thought all the storage cabinets. \nWhile we were cleaning found a '76 Dodge chassis manual. -woot!- According to the manual this sits on a M600 chassis, Rockwell rear with 4:88:1 gears.\nMan do I need an overdrive!\n\nI added water to the holding tank for the first time. No leaks but I found the fixtures are shot. At least those are fairly easy to replace.
1978 Avco Grand Touring 32'\nImage

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:58 am

I kept my TQ as well for a future rebuild . The plastic bodys work better for the fuel perculation but I will say mine runs really smooth with the Holley replacement.\nHave you looked at gearvendors OD units ? Pricey but sometime can find a used on on CL or the bay.\nDodge made an OD tranny that was not computer controlled but I dont know if they made a big block version.\nI think mine has 4:56 and it screams at 65.\nI plan on an eventual cummins swap with with either the Dodge tranny that mates to it or possibly an Allison.\nThat is great that you found that manual. I wonder what the differences are to the M500.\nDoes the manual show the tag axle ?

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Acesneights wrote:I kept my TQ as well for a future rebuild . The plastic bodys work better for the fuel perculation but I will say mine runs really smooth with the Holley replacement.\nHave you looked at gearvendors OD units ? Pricey but sometime can find a used on on CL or the bay.\nDodge made an OD tranny that was not computer controlled but I dont know if they made a big block version.\nI think mine has 4:56 and it screams at 65.\nI plan on an eventual cummins swap with with either the Dodge tranny that mates to it or possibly an Allison.\nThat is great that you found that manual. I wonder what the differences are to the M500.\nDoes the manual show the tag axle ?
\n\nThe best version of the TQ was the one with an electric choke; that way you do not have to rely on the heat riser system to work correctly. That version is hard to find because it was an aftermarket version. I had one with a broken thermostat housing (plastic) and the part was N/A and nobody made a replacement since it wasn't a OEM carb. Problem with the heat riser is they all apart when they get old. This is why people say a Dodge is "cold natured" because of a non working heat riser. This one runs smooth with the TQ installed. You can tweak it some to make cold starting easier. The best fix is go to an electric fuel pump so you have instant fuel pressure before you turn the key. \nSince this thing has 4.88:1 gears a overdrive will be a must. The kit for LoadFlight 3 speed with the parking brake on the tail shaft is $3400.\nBut think how quickly this will pay for itself if this can save you a couple MPG as well as a more comfortable and quiet operation. \nThe Dodge chassis manual does not cover the tag axles. I crawled under and looked that the air bags; they are shot. The bags are coming apart, so the system won't work without replacing them. \nMy shifter cable will be here on Tuesday so what is the last piece of the puzzle for now. \nI think I have identified the fuel issue. Most of the length of the chassis there are hard fuel lines; when they split off and go to the fuel tanks, rubber lines are used. The lines going to the fuel tanks are dry rotted and leak just enough air you cannot prime the fuel pump unless the tanks have a large quantity of fuel in them. Then the pressure in the tank pushes the fuel through the lines. When the tank is low, there is almost none of this pressure, and it sucks air. \nThe only fix here is the drop the tanks. :( \nI have to get under the chassis and make some measurements; I'm not 100% sure I will be able to get them out once I unbolt them.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:34 pm

Wow that stinks, having to drop the tank. I had to replace my fuel lines as well but the Travco tanks have the bulk heads on the side so they are easily accessible without dropping the tank.\nBelieve me I am beginning to wish I had just repaired the TQ. The Holley is acting up when it sits hot for a bit. It's getting heat oak as well. I think at this point an Aluminum intake and blocking the riser ports is a must.\nCheck the bay and CL for GV units. IIRC the base unit is universal then you buy whatever adapters you need.\n3400 is steep. Makes me wonder if just putting a factory OD tranny would be cheaper.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Acesneights wrote:\nBelieve me I am beginning to wish I had just repaired the TQ. The Holley is acting up when it sits hot for a bit. It's getting heat oak as well. I think at this point an Aluminum intake and blocking the riser ports is a must.\n
\n\nYeah, the old cast iron intake hold heat in and don't wick if off like aluminum. Switching to an aluminum manifold pretty much guarantees you will have heat soak issues. The better heat insulator adapters are made by Edelbrock. They have composite wood adapters that isolate better than the plastic ones.\nThat is what I use on my Dodge Ramcharger which I run a Eddy 1406 on a aluminum MoPar M1 intake.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Not posted in a little while.\nReplace the shifter cable, all that is works good now. Rebuilt TQ carb, engine runs nice now. \nHad to drop the fuel tank and rebuild it.\nIt has a massive buildup of varnish inside. Had to cut the top of the tank off to clean it all out and coat the inside with a tank sealer.\nWelded it back together and will install a new fuel level sender and pickup assy soon. Expect to\nhave it install back in the MH this weekend.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:26 am

I would be curious to know the part number for the fuel sender unit that you used. I have a 70 gallon tank in my M500 chassis that needs a new one.
Last edited by 77Travco on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:40 am

77Travco wrote:I would be curious to know the part number for the fuel sender unit that you used. I have a 70 gallon tank in my M500 chassis that need a new one.
\n\nYeah, this is a real find and it is inexpensive also.\n\nIt is made by Auto meter and is a universal sender that is adjustable to different tank sizes.\n$31 from Jegs. \n\nhttp://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/3262/10002/-1\n\nThis one even matched the mounting bolt pattern of the original one so it will go right in.\nThe only work around will be determining if your gauge needs a high resistance for full or low resistance for full.\nYou have to reverse the wires on the sender to make it work. \nYou would think that low resistance= full tank, but that isn't necessarily the case. You have to test first.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 am

Please be sure to post how well it works once installed. Mine is low resistance = full... or at least when I ground the wire, the gauge goes to full.

Return to “All Other Dodge related Motorhomes”