Have Avco will Travel

Travco Vans, Superior Motorhomes...basically anything Dodge based.
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: Avco actually

Re: Greets from an AVCO owner

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:10 pm

77Travco wrote:Yes, we love pics! I would be curious to see pics of the interior, etc.
\nYeah, \nWill post some pix. Been wrestling with getting the generator running correctly. Was able to find the correct operators manual on the net.\nIt stated the choke is a thermostatic electric type. Hmm, that could be an issue since that part is totally missing from mine. :roll:
1978 Avco Grand Touring 32'\nImage

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Have Avco will Travel

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:08 pm

Greets all.\nGot some request for interior pictures of my 78 Avco Grand Touring.\nHere ya go.\nstanding about where the door is looking to the rear\nImage\nThe dash after 35 years of hacks. The dash panel was removed to deal with the seized shifter cable. \nImage\nThe 440 sleeping. \nImage\nThe fridge is brand new; never used. \nImage\nThe fabulous on-suite bathroom that smells like cheap aftershave and stale toothpaste. \nImage\nThe escape hatch. \nImage\n\nThe carpet has been replaced with vinyl flooring. I'm going to recover the dash pad with new vinyl. They had all kinds of tacky knick-knacks\nglued and screwed to it. Pretty much ruined the vinyl. There was a big boat compass stuck to it. I yanked that off and gave it to my son.\nNow he walked around saying things like " my heading is 270* west" ;)

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Greets from an AVCO owner

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Dr. Righteous wrote:
77Travco wrote:Yes, we love pics! I would be curious to see pics of the interior, etc.
\nYeah, \nWill post some pix. Been wrestling with getting the generator running correctly. Was able to find the correct operators manual on the net.\nIt stated the choke is a thermostatic electric type. Hmm, that could be an issue since that part is totally missing from mine. :roll:
\nI moved this post here under your thread so we can help you answer it. Post which generator you have. \nIf it's an Onan Mine does not work either and it was very expensive to replace. I wired the choke open. I have never had a problem with it starting in warm weather and it I do need it in cold I just open the gen box and move the lever by hand.\nPost a pic of it too.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Have Avco will Travel

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:41 pm

That is a nice looking rig. Does it have a rubber roof or fiberglass ? I can't tell.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Acesneights wrote:That is a nice looking rig. Does it have a rubber roof or fiberglass ? I can't tell.
\nFiberglass roof. \nCleaned up nicely when I gave it a bath last week. \n\nOn the Onan genny electric choke issue. I recovered the choke housing from the floor of the compartment and found the bi-metal coil is gone. \nJust some general searches I can find the heater for the choke, but not the coil. The heater assy is priced $50-60 bux so I hope this one is still good.\nNeed to clean it up and ohm out the coil. \nThis is a Onan NH 6.5 but I know they made several different version of this through the years. Need to get the numbers off the plate. It appears to be the original so it is circa 1978.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Like this one ?\nhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPFmwUNYEQA\nLooks very similar to a CCK. Same motor just about, slightly different generator part.\n\nParts for these older Onans are through the roof but they were great Generators. Nearly impossible to kill.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Acesneights wrote:Like this one ?\nhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPFmwUNYEQA\nLooks very similar to a CCK. Same motor just about, slightly different generator part.\n\nParts for these older Onans are through the roof but they were great Generators. Nearly impossible to kill.
\nNo, actually look exactly like this:\nImage

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:08 pm

So... You have a rear queen bedroom with the bathroom somewhere in the middle? A 6.5KW Onan genset?... You could probably run 2 roof airs at the same time with that one. ;)

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dr. Righteous » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:19 am

77Travco wrote:So... You have a rear queen bedroom with the bathroom somewhere in the middle? A 6.5KW Onan genset?... You could probably run 2 roof airs at the same time with that one. ;)
\nThe rear rear has a large (for MH) bathroom. The sleeping arrangements are 2 bunks and 2 overhead bunks. There is a couch up front that makes into a bed also. \nThere are just 3 of us, so no problem with enough room. \nI think the DuoTherm AC units are aprox 1500w each, so shouldn't be any issue running them both. They were installed new in 2002. I took the electric choke housing inside and cleaned it up so I could examine it closely. The whole housing is warp and the clamping part on the back does no have a gap anymore. I really need an entire assembly. :(

Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Acesneights » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Yeah that is different then what I have . Mine is huge and bolts to the muffler and also has electric.\nI got a carb kit from here cheaper.\nhttp://www.jackssmallengines.com/\nOr there is always:\nwww.onanparts.com\n\nor The bay...

Return to “All Other Dodge related Motorhomes”