Broken down in Belle Fourche SD

On the road ? Broke down ? Need help fast ?
\nPost here...Maybe someone is near by or we can atleast give you advice.
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Broken down in Belle Fourche SD

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:28 pm

I don't get the idiot laughing like a hyena in the background but basically this is the idea of testing for spark. it's easier to see at dusk. remember there is 20,000+ volts so don't touch the wire. Use an insulated screwdriver. If you get shocked you will know it(not fatal or serious but not peasant either).\nhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQQV21a0QFo
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:35 pm

My wife is on the "dodge travco motorhome lovers site" on facebook. There is a Travco that looks like theirs and it looks like they are back on the road as of 45 minutes ago. I believe they had a bad ignition board and resistor. Looks like they got towed to a shop.\nHopefully this is good info...

Travco Model: 1973 220

Unread post by monarch » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Thank you all so much for the help on this issue. We are back on the road and it was the resistor and ignition board. You are all amazing for the outpouring of willingness to help complete strangers with your knowledge and experience. We are overwhelmed. \nWe have made it to an RV campground in Wyoming near to Devil's Tower on our journey to take this one to Oregon. We were walking around the grounds looking at all the Rigs, we commented to each other how classy this old girl looks among all the flashy but flimsy looking (to us) trailers and RVs. Guess we have gotten the Travco bug. lol

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Glad to hear that you guys are back on the road. Keep us posted and have a safe trip!

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:50 pm

Excellent. good luck on the rest of your trip. BTW those parts you changed, you may want to keep spares in the RV. They are cheap enough.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1972 Mahal

Unread post by Travco72 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:32 pm

On the topic of the red switch... here is a picture of mine from a 1972. My coach has an engine battery (position 2), two coach batteries (position 1). I use this switch to select which batteries are feeding my 12v if I am not plugged in to electricity... so dry camping I select position 1. I also use it to select which batteries are used to start my engine. I select position 2 and leave it there while I drive. If I have an issue where the starting battery is drained, I can select position 1 or if I want all 3 batteries to start the engine I can select 'ALL'.\n\nI hope this makes sense and helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread post by monarch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:53 am

Sweet info! That's what I needed. :-) Mine looks the same. We have no user manuals, so feel kinda lost. We have 2 batteries -- start and coach/generator. Switch was on all when we picked it up last Thursday with 2 new batteries freshly installed so we left it that way. The guy only told us to switch to off when parked for long periods. Thanks for the help!

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi... Sorry your "first" trip is taking on a steep learning curve... But, every time something happens you learn something new... and you never stop learning... Check out the TECHNICAL DOCUMENT SECTION ... I DL'd quite a number of schematics.. I am sure there is something for your motor home... HTH \nBBB

Unread post by monarch » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:31 pm

Thanks BBB, appreciate the info. Will go take a look at documents. Our first trip had many 'adjustments' to it and we learned that we know very little. lol But we are wanting to learn, and appreciating those here who are willing to share what they have already learned.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:51 am

Hello... \nAfter reviewing your electronic MIS-adventure... I gave it some thought, made a decision and went to my nearest O'Reilly parts store and bought for reserve/spare, the afflicted items. Here is a pic with part numbers. In my area (Cleve,Oh) the total cost was LESS than $30.00 total. Definitely an ace in the hole. Hope I will never need them...Compare this cost effective precaution to a RV Tow...\n(This includes BOTH 4 pin AND 2 pin resistor) HTH\nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by badbillybiker on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Travco Emergencies”