Manual Shift for a Travco

Transmissions, Rear Diff, etc.
Author
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Manual Shift for a Travco

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 am

Hello...\nThe options for better economy seem to be limited and pricey...\nAny one thought about a stick shift travco?\nThe 4, 5, 6, and higher geared transmissions seem to be widley available.\nLots have high HP ratings as well as commercial vehicles having a huge selection.\nMCI 's, Flxble are standard shift... Why not a travco?\nHas to be lower priced than a GV...\nAn enquiring mind would like to know...

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Re: Manual Shift for a Travco

Unread post by Acesneights » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:41 pm

An NV4500 behind a Cummins wouldn't be bad but the shifter would end up in the middle of the kitchen with a really long and weird shifter. I thought about this too plus who the hell wants to drive a stick shift. Did you read my write up on the 518 Bellhousing swap ? I rally think that is the most economical way to go unless you get a really good deal on a used GV.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Unread post by kimfowlee » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:39 pm

I realize this is an old post but I've been giving some thought to a manual transmission in a Travco. First a disclaimer: my wife and I are still looking for a Travco so this is speculation...\n\nI've always driven a manual trans and prefer the control over an auto (slushbox :D ) Since cab over tractors and front drive cars run manual transmissions I figured there was a way to move the shifter out of the kitchen. The pedal assembly/hydraulic clutch from a Dodge pickup are a unit so that can come from the pick and pull. A G56, NV5600 or NV4500 can handle lots of torque and have a wide gearing range, you might even find one from a cab over. I did find an outfit who will piece together off-the-shelf remote shifter linkage for custom applications but I haven't looked into the cost!\n\nhttp://www.cablecraft.com/products_manual_tran ... tml\n\nYou would still need to find an adapter plate or preferably a bell housing to match everything up. Advanced Adapters might have something.\n\nMy father-in-law has TWO 89' Cummins Rams with 5 speed transmissions so there's a good reason I'm interested. Hard part is gonna be talking him into donating one for my project...

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Interesting. Never saw that before. The NV is a nice option. I put one in my M1008 and love it. I don't know, does Advance adapters make a bellhousing to mate an NV to a 440 ?\nTo my knowledge the 727 is the only tranny ever used behind a big block but I am no expert on Mopar.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Finally... a consideration is being considered.... Yes it has been done before........ Enclosed is a pic I have had for quite awhile...and... No... the floor shift does NOT protrude into the kitchen area as imagined. Here is a functional and manual operating floor shfted Travco. Photo is reality. If you really zoom into the pic you can see it also has a "splitter" shift on it!\nAs a 361, 413, 426 and a 440 were offered in 4 speed form...including the lowly 318... Dont see any difficulties using all the pieces.... Using a slave eliminates all the clutch linkage.\nHere we go... Back in the early 60's I converted an automatic desoto adventurer (1957) to a floor shift. It had a 354, R& R a 392 57 Chrtsler, took a 3/4"carbide drill and bored out the back of the crank (for the pilot bushing/bearing and cutting down the input shaft...) and used the complete changeove from a selector type trans from a 1957 plymouth 6 cylinder. Yes it worked until I tore the trans up... was way too weak. Now U Know...\n BBB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Drivetrain”