swapping rear axle assembly

Transmissions, Rear Diff, etc.
Author
Travco Model:

Re: swapping rear axle assembly

Unread post by 77Travco » Sun May 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Kckalden, If you do dive into this project, start a thread and post pictures of your progress. I think there are others here that would be interested about this. When I first bought my 270, I had a similar idea and wanted to go 4x4 but I have since changed directions.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1972 270

Unread post by Kckalden » Sun May 22, 2016 3:10 pm

I thought about 4x4. In some ways it would be easer. Then I considered why I want a diesel, Fuel economy. I am posting my findings and opinions because I want them to be a there for all of us to refer to. I will start a post. Can I do it for the total restoration or do I need to break it up into categories? \n\nAs to this post I have an hypothosis. The smaller brakes on a dodge pickup with Dana 80 is probably needed do to the lighter weight of the truck. I would assume at some point too much friction surface IE large brakes would grab on am light truck. \n\nWe are also in Texas. Perhaps or paths will cross someday.\n\nKevin

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Sun May 22, 2016 4:00 pm

Kckalden wrote:I plan to put a Cummins 5.9 in my 270. Since the rear axle is a concern in have been doing some resurch. The Dana 70hd in the 270 is rated at 10000 lbs the Dana 80 is rated at 11000 lbs. dodge rates the 80 in its pickups a lot less about 7500. Some Dana 80s in dodges pickups are hybrids using Dana 70 parts. I have read inner bearings were from 70s to the entire axle tubes. Anyways they are different. I think the Dana 80 in one tons are true 80s. \n\nThe dodge 2nd generations 3500 pickups have a wider axle than the 270 due to the wider frame. the 3500 cab and chassis which has a frame width simular to the 270 it's axle might be a good match with a foot print closer to the 270s. \n\nThis gets to the question of brakes. The Dodge 3500 has 13 x 3.5 brake shoes where I believe the Travco has 15 x 4. Is this a stumbling block? Did dodge spec out the Dana 80 with brakes that can't live up to the reputation of beefy Dana 80? I owned a 2001 dodge 3500 cab and chassis. It's brakes sucked. I mean sucked. I sold it because I did not want to kill anyone. That being said I had other dodges hat stopped fine. In 2002 dodge went with disc brakes on the Dana 80. I have yet to resurch the disc brakes.\n\nMy next question is what about the front axle? Can I find one with disc brakes and 8 lug wheels and a 4000 lb rating? Where?\n\nDoes anyone know the rating of the 17 inch stock tires on the 270? Will a load range e 16 inch tire work as good? \n\nThis week I am going to look over a couple freightliner step vans and see if the axles will bolt up with minimal effort. I do think the foot prints will be too wide so finder skirts might be needed.
\n\nYou could go with the 19.5" wheels which do not require tubes. The situation as far as finding tires would be slightly better but may still have to wait a day or two to get them.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sun May 22, 2016 6:04 pm

The constant back & forth still doesnt resolve the problem. Might a chasis swap end all the bs?\nThe views of the way the Travco is mounted upon/atop the chasis in one huge piece would lead one to believe that is\nthe most practible way. Find a chasis by Osh Kosh, Freightliner GMC etc. of the correct wheelbase..\nAnd opinions are like everything else...everyone has one...IMO/FWIW\nBBB

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Mon May 23, 2016 12:45 pm

Kckalden wrote:We are also in Texas. Perhaps or paths will cross someday.
\nIt's a pretty big state but I do get around. :D

Return to “Drivetrain”