Propane capacity / run-time?

Propane related Questions...
\nDisclaimer:
\n Use information post here at your own risk. We recommend Propane issues be referred to a qualified service professional. Travcoforum.com is not responsible
\nfor accuracy of information posted here.
Author
Travco Model: Nothing yet

Propane capacity / run-time?

Unread post by L_S » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:30 pm

Considering getting a Travco and I was curious how big of LP tanks normally came on them?\n\nI did a bit of searching and I found an old article in an October 1974 copy of SKIING magazine which stated their "27 foot Travco model 960" had a 68 pound propane tank. Not sure what year theirs was.\nsource: https://books.google.com/books?id=KicPH ... ty&f=false\n\nI also looked at a classified ad of sorts which suggested that the owners had abandoned the built-in propane tank in favor of two 30 pound tanks in a side - accessible locker.\nImage\nsource: https://www.bumfuzzle.com/travco-for-sale/\n( apparently no longer for sale, but they have a lot of great pictures of one of the nicer examples of a Travco I have seen online)\n\nAnyway I am thinking of getting a Travco and using it at times for cold-weather ' boon-docking ' . Curious how much LP you are able to carry and how many nights you can run the furnace etc in 0 degree weather. Ideally I would also have the generator run off propane as well. I would love to have atleast a 3-week supply of propane on-board for heating, showering, cooking etc.\n\nI see the Flame King brand makes RV propane tanks and the largest one I have found is 15" x 48" holding 29.3 gallons or about 120 pounds. \nImage\n( Flame King YSN293 )\nCurious if travcos have room underneath to mount one or two of these? Anyone know what diameter their under-hung tanks are? Would love a ton of capacity but hate to lose ground clearance or storage space. \nIs there much un-utilized space under your travco for hanging additional tanks etc?\n\nThanks

L_S
Travco Model: Nothing yet

Re: Propane capacity / run-time?

Unread post by L_S » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:47 pm

hmm, too big of a post? maybe overwhelming / uninteresting? :D

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 76 Mahal 2+2

Unread post by KB2CRK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:27 am

Sorry I did not reply sooner but I was going to check the size of my tank. I know it holds about 15 gallons when empty. Using the refrigerator and stove/ oven the propane will last a while (our first tank lasted 2 camping seasons and only ran out when the valve on the tank started leaking). The valve that failed was the original and our travco is a 76

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 am

There's are a few spots underneath that one could mount another tank. I would rather have the genset run on gasoline if the coach engine is gas. There are 2 feeds out of the fuel tank. The engine supply dips to the bottom of the tank. The genset supply only dips 3/4 way down into the tank so you can have enough gas to drive away if the genset runs out.

Return to “Propane”