Using the roof Top Air Conidtioner while driving ok ?

Stoves, Water Heaters, Furnace Stove Etc...
Author
Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Using the roof Top Air Conidtioner while driving ok ?

Unread post by Acesneights » Tue May 28, 2013 3:18 pm

This has been a debatable topic. My father was an Authorized Coleman A/C service center back in the 70's (He is in the Coleman manuals if you have an old enough one) and vaguely remember him saying it was not good practice to use the roof air while driving. Of course I was just a little kid then. That always stuck with me as gospel all these years until a recent debate on another site arose about it. Well...I went to the source for an answer once and for all on the topic. \nBear in mind this is Coleman. Other Manufacturers may have a different take.\nThe response from Coleman(now airxcel)\n\nHello\n\nI would have to say that is an old wives tale. We at RVP (Coleman) test our units in both a stationary and mobile environment. It should not hurt the unit, as long as there is nothing in front of the unit that would divert air around the AC when you are driving.\n\n\nThanks,\nMike Dickey\nAirxcel, RVProducts Division\nTechnical Support Coordinator\n\n\n-----Original Message-----\nFrom: RVP Support [mailto:rvpsupport@airxcel.com] \nSent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:22 AM\nTo: Mike S. Dickey\nSubject: Fwd: Coleman roof top ac units used while driving\n\n\n\n----- Forwarded Message -----\nFrom: \nTo: "rvp support" <rvp_support@airxcel.com>\nSent: Monday, May 27, 2013 8:37:38 AM\nSubject: Coleman roof top ac units used while driving\n\nHello, \nI am the forum owner of Travcoforum.com as well as a member of other Travco motorhome discussion groups. My father was an authorized repair center for Coleman RV in the 70's. (Aud-Ra-Tel hicksvile NY). I remember him telling me that using the roof top air conditioner was bad for the unit while driving down the highway. Something to do with the airflow . Can you tell me is this true or an old wives tale ? \nYour response will be reprinted on my forum with your permission. I own an Older Polar Cub currently. \nThank You \nKenny \nAdministrator Travcoforum.com
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Travco Model:

Re: Using the roof Top Air Conidtioner while driving ok ?

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed May 29, 2013 9:28 am

Hmmm... good to know. I will experiment with this more in the near future as my dash air doesn't blow cold right now.

Return to “All other Appliances”