TravcoForum.com

Travco Classic Motorhome Support & Discussion Forum

Skip to content

Change font size

Board index » Off Topic » Campfire General Discussion
Post up here anything else camping or RV related or just general chit chat.
ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS or RELIGION
Take that stuff somewhere else. This is a G Rated Forum.

Our beach campers

Unread postby 77Travco on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:12 am

So... as many here may not know... We actually don't own our Travco anymore. We sold our beloved 270 in July of 16 to a newly retired career army soldier that wanted to "go get lost for awhile".
We haven't stopped RVing but the type of camping that we do dictated our need to let the Travco go. My wife and I do a lot of beach camping. Extreme beach camping. We go down to South Padre National Seashore and stay for long durations. Once we pass the sign that reads: "FOUR WHEEL DRIVE ONLY PAST THIS POINT", we travel another 35 to 60 miles down the beach.
There is only one way in and out and there is no cell service. We take dry ice, a generator and all sorts of survival supplies just in case we get stuck or have a breakdown. Depending on conditions, it can take several hours to go 30 miles... there is no quick trip to the store.
I have been doing this trip several times a year since the late 1980's and have always tent or vehicle camped. When we bought the Travco I had intended to make it a 4x4 for this purpose but somewhere along the way we realized that it just wouldn't be right to abuse it so badly. So, we sold it and bought a lifted popup camper. Then we got tired of not being able to easily move our campsite up and down the beach so we bought a lifted travel trailer.

Here are a few pics of our camping setups since our beloved Travco...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
77Travco

Travco Model:

Re: Our beach campers

Unread postby Acesneights on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:25 pm

I thought the Squarebody was yours...I love the old Chevys. I used to do that kind of camping when I lived on Long Island out at Smiths Point. Supposedly there are places in Cape Cod and Rhode Island that still allow it.
1977 Travco 270 Elite
1974 Travco 220 Parts unit
Acesneights
Site Admin
Site Admin

Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread postby 77Travco on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 am

I've probably had around 20 of those square body 4x4's over the last 30 years. Super easy to lift and to work on.
I've always been a Chevy guy although my current daily driver is a new F-150. The reason for that is the Ford dealer in my small town is known for their impeccable customer service. The GM and Mopar dealers not so much. It matters to me when having to deal with warranty work, etc.
77Travco

Travco Model:

Unread postby padave29 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:10 pm

77, I have read where some folks use their Travcos for beach camping - they say that they deflate the rears, until they touch, and this gives them good purchase on the sand. What do you think of this? I was excited to read it, because I'd like to take mine out where you've been going - but it sounds like you're saying that she wouldn't take that so well. If i recall, you are out of Kerrville(?) I just made a "Matron" voyage with my '73 270 "Gypsy", down to Corpus, to stay on the base and do some sailing with my son. It was her first trip in about 5 years - if she were a ship, I'd say this was a shakedown voyage. And a shakedown, it was! I found lots of things that need work, that may not have shown themselves on a shorter trip, or one with less hills (I drove her from San Angelo to the coast). So, my hope is still to do some off-season beach camping with her - are you recommending against it? Thanks!
padave29
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Travco Model: 1973 - 270

Unread postby 77Travco on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:47 am

The main issue with parking a camper on the beach it that the sand gets everywhere. The undercarriage will get rusty and suspension, drivetrain and other parts for Travcos are hard to find. Our 2017 camper already looks several years old underneath due to our beach trips but that's why we bought it. If we can get 7 to 10 years out of it we will be happy. We just didn't want to trash our Travco in that way.
If I were to take a nice coach to the beach I would personally try to find a spot near the beach and walk to the sand.
77Travco

Travco Model:

Return to Campfire General Discussion