TravcoForum.com

Travco Classic Motorhome Support & Discussion Forum

Skip to content

Change font size

Board index » Off Topic » Campfire General Discussion
Post up here anything else camping or RV related or just general chit chat.
ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS or RELIGION
Take that stuff somewhere else. This is a G Rated Forum.

Well the 270 was kind of a bust

Unread postby rcb on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:24 pm

I went and looked at a "64 travco" in craigslist today. 1, it wasn't a 64. It was a 69-72 270. Of course, we are looking more at 210s, but it was close and it gave us the chance to see one in person. It's wasn't quite as big as we had feared. In fact, we also stopped and looked at a Winnebage Chieftan 22, and it was definitely taller. The 22 foot length was nice, if not compact. But, everything we've been looking at is around 22ft.

Still though, it was cool to see one in person. To be honest, the 270 wasn't nearly as long as I was thinking. But, as our drive is so steep, the 210 is actually needed due to rear clearance.
rcb
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Travco Model: Looking for 210

Re: Well the 270 was kind of a bust

Unread postby jeeprobb on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:07 pm

kinda looking for a 270, what kind of shape was it in and where is it? if you don't mind.
1973 Travco 270 "Aunt Fannie" My wife says I have a JEEP problem?
jeeprobb
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Travco Model: 1973 270 Cummins'd

Unread postby rcb on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Radcliff Ky. It's on Craigslist. It's listed as a 64, but it's not. Beyond that... it's in rough shape. No radiator, though they say it will start (and said he'd start it briefly if I was really interested). It was painted at some point, but it was chipping. Glass is a little wavvy near the back on the drivers side. Interior up front is partially gutted. He wants 1500 for it. Also the passenger side windshield is fractured.

I personally didn't think it was worth 1500. He sounded fairly flexible, but as it wasn't really what we wanted, I really didn't pursue it.
rcb
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby Acesneights on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:25 am

It's worth nothing ,minus what ever the tow truck will charge to tow it away.
2 biggest and most expensive issues to deal with on a Travco. Windshields and really bad bodywork.
As far as the Winnebago just bear in mind the older ones are nothing but a shed on wheels. You don't want something with a troublesome rubber roof either. The main structure and shell of a Travco can basically never go bad.(In some rare cases like my Dads the webbing that attached to the main frame needed work but even that was fixable).
Any 70-80s Winnie is almost certainly going to have major water damage from leaks and I mean beyond what you see. Unless it was very well maintained and covered. And even then although lighter, it has no where near the safety of a Travco in case of rollover.
The only other older motorhomes I would even consider would be a GMC(The front wheel drive ones) which are BIG bucks or an
Airstream...even bigger bucks.
I personally will never own another RV with a rubber roof.
1977 Travco 270 Elite
1974 Travco 220 Parts unit
Acesneights
Site Admin
Site Admin

Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread postby rcb on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:50 am

Oh we have no interest in the Winnie. But we saw it on our drive, so we stopped. A full fiberglass body is absolutely necessary. I'm not interested in the tin siding variety. Our short list right now is a Hall GTC, Travco 210/220, Discoverer, Sightseers, Xplorer 260 or 307.

We hope we get the chance to check all of them out before settling on one. I think the only Winnebago I'd seriously consider would be the Winnie wagon.
rcb
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread postby rcb on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:57 am

Yeah, windshields are something like 900 for each side, not counting labor.
rcb
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Campfire General Discussion