First dumb questions,,,

Author
Travco Model: 1975 APOLLO 26BD

First dumb questions,,,

Unread post by GUSRENTIT » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:32 pm

You need to know, that I know very little on these things. So I read on Wiki that Travco's were built until the early 1990's, yet to see any info past 1976, any ideas on that?, I like the Class A 290's, what is the wheel base?, overall width?, interior dimensions?, does the rear overhang create a light front end?, are they well insulated, both for summer or winter?, Read something about them having a "live rear end" is that like posi trac? or is it really alive and I have to feed it?, What gear ratios, did they run?. Ok, that is a good start, I'm sure much more to come,,,, LOL \nThanks in advance, Gus

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: First dumb questions,,,

Unread post by badbillybiker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:40 am

for starters there is never a "dumb" question... only at times dumb answers...\na little NFO subject to corrections... As late as 2014 I have seen a 1983 "Travco" for sale. Travco was forced out of business as part of a bail out. Remember "double diamond" or McLean used Dodge trucks/tractors exclusively (sp)... and after the "bail out deal from the crooks in DC.. Travco was gone by DC edict...Dodge heavy division was no more. McLean went broke raising cattle or horses or illegals in florida...Foretravel wanted the buyer base of travco members, etc. They bought the molds etc. And sold the Travco... still but under their controL. ater they got the potential buyers list, they dropped the pretense and Travco was no more. There were gas & diesel pushers, gmc & ford powered units in the fading years... including a tag axle 35 & I think a 40 footer...The rear was live in the sense of a non-locking w/456 gears. The Travco was a gold mine for rv's and due to the "national" gas shortage and the speed limit was 55mpg, Travcos were geared for the times. At roughly 7 tons the gearing helped the unit move down the highway. after the prices were raised to the pricing and levels of todays market and they discovered more gasoline, speed limit is now mostly 70. The 440 screams at 70 mp so that is out. Cruise at 55-60 for maxi life and mileage.. or goto gear vendors or a tranny swap... \nno the body c/g has so much weight I doubt if a FULL rear tub, FULL fuel tank and a FULL fresh water tank at the rear..would ever make the front end "light" Go thru the travcoforum and note the various tips/manuals posted... Will explain more and give better useful tips and insights than being posted here by me... \nEOS AFAIK.HTH, FWIW,& IMO. :roll: \nBBB

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:50 pm

Chrysler Corp quit making its medium duty truck chassis as part of a government bailout. The Travco company was already teetering financially and that helped do it in. The Travco 270 that we all know and love ceased to be produced in 1979... the smaller units even before. The 290 and larger units lived on with different drivetrains.\n\nPlagiarized off the net...\nIn 1979, the manufacturing rights for the Travco were sold to Foretravel . Foretravel bought truckloads of Travco parts at the public auction. Remaining items went to the high bidder. Beneath it all, Foretravel was really after ownership of the Travco Motorcade Club. It was the largest of its kind. Control of this large band of motor home owners meant steering membership towards newer products - developed by Foretravel. As expected, a number of Travco owners became Foretravel owners.

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:06 am

welcome !!\nabove posts pretty much sum it up. They are nice units to own and restore and in my opinion some of the best RVs every built even by today's standards.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:16 pm

when my situation changed due to losing my companion last year and not trusting my 2 goldens with anyone... I decided to once more get a rv and take them on a tour with me.. (Many plans were altered) After looking at many so-called bargains with the most abused wording as in: "slight water damage etc." ... code word for rotten...I decided that after all that went before me, the Travco is still the best built, dry and affordable. The Travco requires little body maintenance and if deciding to get one... allow for brakes that almost always need repairing due to lack of use. Get the best deal on the best unit... and leave an allowance for brake work...I'm sure after my use this will be around long after I'm gone...(Mine is 40 years old) \nNO wood to to get rotten except the in floor areas...the cure?.. dont park in the water...\nBBB

Site Admin
Site Admin
Travco Model: 1975 270,1974 220

Unread post by Acesneights » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:25 pm

The floors are Marine grade plywood, water doesn't really hurt them as much as dry rot.
1977 Travco 270 Elite\n1974 Travco 220 Parts unit

Return to “Travco 290”