2, 6V batteries in series for an Onan?

Discuss Onan, Kohler and whatever here. Also check out Smokstak.com
Author
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Travco Model: 1971 270

2, 6V batteries in series for an Onan?

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Was looking though the owners manual for my Onan Model 6.0 CCKB-3R (1971 Travco 270), and it says that the generator starting battery is actually 2, 6V batteries in series (to make 12V). Also, the battery hold down bracket appears like it is set up for 2, motorcycle type batteries, end to end. In fact, it doesn't look like an automotive 12V battery would even fit, due to limited space, side to side. Does this sound right?\n What do others use for this vintage of Onan? I have heard that they require a pretty healthy battery (CCA wise).

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Travco Model: 270

Re: 2, 6V batteries in series for an Onan?

Unread post by badbillybiker » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:34 pm

here is a pic of my setup. 800cca automotive battery...\nmore than enough starting power... Be inovative...\nSome things can be as is and at other times modded...\nIf it works................ this MY way...FWIW...\nBBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:09 pm

Your set up looks almost the same as mine. I like your battery choice. Any idea what group type it is, as I would like to get one just like it?

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:38 am

sorry..... as my unit has been in a shop for the past 2 1/2 months \nI cant help you at this time...\nI had the battery sitting in the garage as a take out\nfrom a van I had earlier trashed. If time is not important for this...\nAs soon as I get it back, I can check for you and post a pic and\nnfo of this battery,.\. actually any large battery will work.\nThe onan is only a low compression TWO cylinder... HTH\nBBB

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:00 am

I have a full size car battery in the space behind the generator. I thought that was the factory location for it? That's also where I keep my chock blocks.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:31 pm

BBB: Sure, I can wait. Dare I ask what yours is in the shop for?\n77: Does your generator compartment look like the one BBB showed in his pic? Mine looks like BBB's and I'm not too sure how I could fit a battery "behind" the generator. By "behind", do you mean inboard (toward the center of the MH, side to side), or toward the rear of the MH? In my compartment, there is only about an inch between the gen and the forward compartment wall, and similar to the rear compartment wall. Just curious.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Dodgy71 wrote:BBB: Sure, I can wait. Dare I ask what yours is in the shop for?\n77: Does your generator compartment look like the one BBB showed in his pic? Mine looks like BBB's and I'm not too sure how I could fit a battery "behind" the generator. By "behind", do you mean inboard (toward the center of the MH, side to side), or toward the rear of the MH? In my compartment, there is only about an inch between the gen and the forward compartment wall, and similar to the rear compartment wall. Just curious.
\nI'll take a picture and post it before the weekend is over.... if I forget remind me.

Travco Model:

Unread post by 77Travco » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:24 pm

Here are a few pics of my generator compartment. Notice how the battery is separated from the genset.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread post by Dodgy71 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks 77!\nDefinitely different than mine & BBB's.

Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Unread post by badbillybiker » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:42 pm

I think 77's genset is the alternator style with a oil filter and separate starter.\nMy 76 mahal had the battery mounted in the back like his, but the slide out & gen were gone!\nFWIW: if the genset from my current was gone, a honda ue or eu would be the replacement...\nno brainer in my house on that.\nBBB

Return to “Generators”